ttygt

So instead of one or two tuxedo'd waiters/servers, you have a multitude of little penguins running around?

krycor

Honorary Master
I need to set up a new home server.. busy trying to figure out cheapest budget one..

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
I need to set up a new home server.. busy trying to figure out cheapest budget one..

What are your needs? If your looking for file sharing go for a Proliant Microserver, if you are more of a techhead get yourself a Dell T110 and a Technet subscription. The other option is looking at Refurbs, we picked up a bunch of quad CPU HP G3 servers over December for R500 a pop.... They won't do server 2012 though

bullzeye.za

Expert Member
I rent a server from Hetzner Germany;
i7 3770k, 16GB of RAM and 2x3TB disks, connected to the internet on a gigabit net connection.

Can add whatever I like to the server ( SSDs, etc ) for about R150~ per month

Total package, including 5 extra static IP's for virtual machines comes to R450 per month.

rorz0r

Executive Member
I rent a server from Hetzner Germany;
i7 3770k, 16GB of RAM and 2x3TB disks, connected to the internet on a gigabit net connection.

Can add whatever I like to the server ( SSDs, etc ) for about R150~ per month

Total package, including 5 extra static IP's for virtual machines comes to R450 per month.

Can you watch xbmc on it?

DominionZA

Executive Member

I have 3 HP Microservers (N40L). Until now I never used them for more than file servers running FreeNAS etc...

Last Sat I decided to push it a bit. Put a 128GB SSD in for primary boot/OS and 4 x 2TB for storage. Installed Windows Server 2012 and was surprisingly blown away. This little HP handles it with zero issues.
Pooled the 4 X 2TB drives into a parity virtual disk and smiling.
Got 8GB RAM in it.

jetlee

Can you watch xbmc on it?

probably not, but I bet he can easily stream it to his own 250 rand raspberry pi, and at the same time a bunch of family or friend households can stream to their oen 250 rand raspberry pi's, and they dont all need 3tb file stores and uncapped internet to do it ...

jetlee

I dont see the need for all the power .. for me , I have an old compaq armada (p3 700 256 mb) with a pcmcia 4 x usb2 ports adaptor. I run Debian wheezy and 2 x 3tb wd external drives (ext4). I can stream 1080p content to 4 pc's simultaneosly, while my transmission deamon + web client keeps my downloading needs filled ... I serve 3 private asp websites for friends using mono + nginx + mysql.

I use practically no power, and my cpu hums along at around 50% under load .. all in all .. it cost me 200 bucks for the old lappie from a family member about 4 years ago, and drives have come and gone due to space requirements. I think, all in all .. its been rebooted about 3 times in 4 years, and is still running strong ..

for home use .. special server or nas hardware .. bah humbug