"Mega uncapped ADSL" launched

Vlad

that does look like a good offering... particularly with the inclusion of an 8 gig unshaped account and the free wifi...
first time since i signed up for Mweb uncapped that i'm tempted to switch..

Fox1

Executive Member
I've had good service all round from OpenWeb. Looks like I need to upgrade to one of these accounts.

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
If those prices exclude ADSL line rental then those prices are basically the same as Mweb's uncapped prices. And they don't shape ever.

_Mikie_

OpenWeb - Uncapped(Shaped) + 8GB Data + Wifi(Unspecified amount)(R425) + Line Rental(R425) = R854

Afrihost - Uncapped(Semi-Shaped) + Line Rental(Bundled)(R697) + 8GB Data(R58) + Wifi(2GB)(R39) = R794 per month

Mweb - Based on comments cheaper or very competitive.

Based on a 4Meg account.
Please correct me if I've made an error?

Last edited:

RaptorSA

Expert Member
Think it's time to cancel my MWeb account... there's been ZERO price decreases or incentives for us long term Mweb users ever since they added uncapped. Screw it.

TehStranger

Executive Member
If those prices exclude ADSL line rental then those prices are basically the same as Mweb's uncapped prices. And they don't shape ever.

This. I pay R10 more for the Mweb Premium uncapped package that has never been throttled in all my years with Mweb. So to save R10 I must go through the hassle of dealing with multiple accounts rather than having a single accounts that gives me full line speed 24/7? No thank you.

I see the saving is greater with the higher speed accounts, but I still wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of multiple accounts for a R70 (2MB deal) or even R110 (4MB deal) saving when compared to Mweb accounts. As for the 10MB option, is 8GB of "daytime cap" really enough on a 10Mb account? Not in my experience.

Overall feeling very meh about this.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This is an interesting one..

Might need to check it out a little bit.

Cloud

Expert Member
I'm assuming the 4 concurrent connections are limited to the 8gb account.

If it applied to the whole package that would have made this very interesting...

boerseun

This. I pay R10 more for the Mweb Premium uncapped package that has never been throttled in all my years with Mweb. So to save R10 I must go through the hassle of dealing with multiple accounts rather than having a single accounts that gives me full line speed 24/7? No thank you.

I see the saving is greater with the higher speed accounts, but I still wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of multiple accounts for a R70 (2MB deal) or even R110 (4MB deal) saving when compared to Mweb accounts. As for the 10MB option, is 8GB of "daytime cap" really enough on a 10Mb account? Not in my experience.

Agreed. Also , I am not that familiar with Openweb's AUP. They run on IS, so ASFAIR it is pretty draconian.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Agreed. Also , I am not that familiar with Openweb's AUP. They run on IS, so ASFAIR it is pretty draconian.

I promise you it's better than mweb's AUP. There are a number of people who got abuse letters from mweb because of "excessive" downloading. They are happily burning those GBs over at openweb now. I've contacted both mweb and afrihost in the not so distant past and asked them what they would do if I downloaded x amount on their respective networks. I was told straight up that I'd probably get a note or two. No such thing at openweb. (FYI, these aren't business accounts, these are "home" accounts.)

Also, the IS star rating does not apply to any of openweb's accounts AFAIK ;)

km2

Expert Member
I like the concept, but managing two accounts is still a pain. It also means that to truly get seamless usage out of it you need something like a Mikrotik Router and to get yourself ass deep in RouterOS and routing rules to have both accounts connected and automatically send the priority traffic over the 8GB package and the rest via uncapped.

I would much rather they work on some way that they can have one package and give us that kind of control through a web interface and then do the splitting on their side. Something so that I can go onto a web control panel and tick that all traffic to news server providers or YouTube or Steam are classed as "uncapped" and will not be billed against my 8GB allowance, while the rest gets treated as capped unshaped.

Don't make people have to juggle accounts. It's a pain and I say it as someone who's doing it currently with funky DSCP based firewall rules to direct traffic on multiple PPPoE accounts.

Totempole

Expert Member
Other than the additional 8GB's of data, how does this account compare to Openweb's Standard Uncapped?

marine1

Honorary Master
Think it's time to cancel my MWeb account... there's been ZERO price decreases or incentives for us long term Mweb users ever since they added uncapped. Screw it.

This is one of the reasons I have just moved across to Openweb.
Its a competitive industry and Mweb has stagnated

K3NS31

Expert Member

OpenWeb - Uncapped(Shaped) + 8GB Data + Wifi(Unspecified amount)(R425) + Line Rental(R425) = R854

Afrihost - Uncapped(Semi-Shaped) + Line Rental(Bundled)(R697) + 8GB Data(R58) + Wifi(2GB)(R39) = R794 per month

Based on a 4Meg account.

Dunno what accounts you guys are using from Mweb, but I had to recently move from them to Openweb because of a significant increase in throttling over the past year.
An Mweb representative called me and we had a long chat about why I was leaving (which was really impressive, in itself) and he agreed that their throttling policies were aimed at a normal user and wouldn't suit my needs as a medium to heavy downloader. I even suggested they add a power user account to their offerings.
He confirmed that they use extensive throttling, although they don't use actual shaping. Depending on your needs, this is just as bad.

My Mweb account performed well overall, but it became useless for downloading due to the throttling policies.
So I ended up moving to Openweb even though it meant paying more.
And that's why this is still a good deal.

BTW, can anybody tell me how this compares to Openweb's Gold accounts? (Aside from the obvious extra 8GB account, of course)? Is it better or worse?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Dunno what accounts you guys are using from Mweb, but I had to recently move from them to Openweb because of a significant increase in throttling over the past year.
An Mweb representative called me and we had a long chat about why I was leaving (which was really impressive, in itself) and he agreed that their throttling policies were aimed at a normal user and wouldn't suit my needs as a medium to heavy downloader. I even suggested they add a power user account to their offerings.
He confirmed that they use extensive throttling, although they don't use actual shaping. Depending on your needs, this is just as bad.

My Mweb account performed well overall, but it became useless for downloading due to the throttling policies.

BTW, can anybody tell me how this compares to Openweb's Gold accounts? (Aside from the obvious extra 8GB account, of course)? Is it better or worse?

Have to agree with this. My experience with Mweb has worsened substantially over the last couple of months. When we first signed up a few years back it was great. Full speed on news servers any time of the day, and solid browsing speed. Nowadays everything's ludicrously slow unless it's between 12:00/01:00 and 08:00 AM. The whole experience is just unpleasant. Websites time out constantly on a completely unused line. It's happening more and more for extended periods of time. So everything would be working fine for 20 minutes, and then everything breaks and nothing works for an hour, then it works again a bit. All I get in response is 'everything's fine on our side'.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Which socks did you smoke today?

Based on a 4Meg account.

Afrihost throttle, Openweb never do.

Openweb have the best AUP of all the providers. IS is just a back bone provider. Each ISP creates their own AUP.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

They do. Their Premium uncapped don't throttle.