Mi Induction Cooker

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So I bought myself this little gem for Christmas as a trial run for induction to see if it’s worth replacing my stovetop at some point with induction all round.

Needless to say I’ve been deeply impressed so far. Not only does it get to a boil in just over a minute, the 99 levels of granular power control and timer functions really means you can dial something as simple as a grilled cheese setting in perfectly.

The App connect is pretty cool as you get a notification when the timer turns the unit off and it has quite a few built-in and then add-on modes which are really just pre-defined temperature settings.

Sadly there can only be 8 and 5 of those are forced on you so you can only customise another 3 slots. I don’t see why more couldn’t be an option but it is what it is.

Part of the custom mode you can set the temperature exactly instead of the 99 power levels which took me off on a tangent thinking I could potentially do sous vide with this quite easily.

A quick test shows that the temperature difference between the app and the water in my specific pot was only about 5 degrees. Assuming my thermometer is accurate I would imagine that’s a simple loss between the cooker and the pot, but it remained solidly consistent for an hour so I’ll definitely test drive it some time with a not so expensive steak.

Unit is a bit tall, but then generally others I’ve seen that are flatter don’t seem to take pots this size so it’s a compromise either way and this one seems to do quite well in the cooling department as the fans aren’t too noisy so not a big issue.

It’s bigger than the biggest plate on my cooktop now, but it’s edgeless round design means it doesn’t take up any more space whereas the usual square units can be quite large.

It gets hotter than some others I’ve felt immediately after cooking, but it’s residual from the pots/pans and even so it’s not hot enough that I would be concerned that my kids will get hurt, which is part of the reason for wanting to switch.

So far I’ve made perfect eggs, although with my own settings as theirs are way too low in temperature and a pasta with some grilled cheese toasties in between and that worked perfectly and insanely quick with no back and forth between 3 and 4 like I often need to do on my normal ceramic.

Pancakes however I have ducked up spectacularly to the point I threw it all in the bin and walked away before I lose it. Every single one would just stick and not flip over, even though it cooked just fine.

This was on a non-stick pan so maybe next time I’ll do the cast iron as historically I’ve never really managed a single full batch of pancakes without fail.

American flapjack style Nutribullet pancakes will be on the menu tomorrow morning and those I have never ever cocked up.

All in all as with every Xiaomi product I’ve purchased of which there are now many, I’m deeply impressed yet again.

And oddly I might never replace my cooktop now as I think between this and the Airfryer I could probably cook almost any meal in my kitchen.

It being portable will also be awesome for weekends away.

10/10.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Oh, the only really silly thing is that you can’t set the temperature through the App, or at least I haven’t figured out how to if you can.

So I had to make a custom profiles to test the sous vide temperatures and it only supports 5 degree increments.

T-Man

You are saying that it has 99 settings. For example on 50, does it pulse between on and off, or is it a continuous 50%?
If one were to spill fluids onto the plate, how does one clean around and under the center temperature probe?
I wonder how 'hackable' they are? It would be nice to extend functions with 2 stage cooking - like for yogurt

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You are saying that it has 99 settings. For example on 50, does it pulse between on and off, or is it a continuous 50%?
If one were to spill fluids onto the plate, how does one clean around and under the center temperature probe?
I wonder how 'hackable' they are? It would be nice to extend functions with 2 stage cooking - like for yogurt
I haven’t noticed that it turns on and off when using the manual levels so I would think it simply stays there.

However when you’ve used the temperature setting I’ve noted that it beeps once up to temperature but then I still think it stays on regardless.

I’m not about to purposely spill on it to find out, but I reckon a simple wipe with a cloth as I’ve done cleaning it so far.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A quick test shows that the temperature difference between the app and the water in my specific pot was only about 5 degrees. Assuming my thermometer is accurate I would imagine that’s a simple loss between the cooker and the pot, but it remained solidly consistent for an hour so I’ll definitely test drive it some time with a not so expensive steak.
Don't cookers work by making the pot the actual heating element?

Anyway - this looks nice enough. I might try it next time I'm shopping for a replacement. I'm almost as much a fan of them as I am my gas hobs.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Don't cookers work by making the pot the actual heating element?

Anyway - this looks nice enough. I might try it next time I'm shopping for a replacement. I'm almost as much a fan of them as I am my gas hobs.
Yeah that’s the idea but I’m guessing the stated temperature is at the sensor and the pot/pan itself is lower and not compensated for that.

Or it doesn’t work for the particular type of pot I used as well. Maybe must try test again in my old school cast iron pot.

Of course there is a very good chance my thermometer is kak.

Last edited:

Bighit

Expert Member
My only issue is that the induction cooker doesn't seem to get hot enough to make vetkoek, so can't get it that brown colour, but it does make awesome fudge.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My only issue is that the induction cooker doesn't seem to get hot enough to make vetkoek, so can't get it that brown colour, but it does make awesome fudge.
Mine gets as hot, if not hotter than my gas stove, and it gets there faster. It rapidly gets to the smoke point of sunflower oil if Im not paying attention.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You mean this particular one or induction in general?

While I haven’t specifically tried vetkoek it certainly seems to heat oil hotter and faster than my ceramic electric.

_kabal_

Expert Member
I see that this is very well priced.
I have been looking at the snappy chef one as it can be mounted into the counter. The snappychef however doesn’t have nearly as many power level increments as this one.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
@SauRoNZA Did you buy it at a physical store, or online?
You've sold me and I would like to get one today.
Bought on the ebucks store.

Takealot and the Mi Africa shop have it online though.

I don’t remember what brick and mortar shops look like. :)

Bighit

Expert Member
You mean this particular one or induction in general?

While I haven’t specifically tried vetkoek it certainly seems to heat oil hotter and faster than my ceramic electric.
This specific one, can't seem to get the oil to boil hotter. What setting are you trying? I tried the hot pot and stir fry mode on fire level 99

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
This specific one, can't seem to get the oil to boil hotter. What setting are you trying? I tried the hot pot and stir fry mode on fire level 99
I haven’t tried a huge batch of oil at all, only a bit of frying.

When I do a bit more oil (very rarely) I’ll use my thermometer to check what it gets up to.

Out of interest what pot did you use to do the vetkoek in?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have never bought anything Xiaomi that has disappointed me. Their quality is top notch and they have some pretty innovative ideas that they squeeze into their products.

ele33

Does the entire surface need to be covered by the pot / pan for this to start working?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Does the entire surface need to be covered by the pot / pan for this to start working?
No, I’ve specifically tested my smallest pot for this very reason and has no issues.

I suspect that’s why they have the stick up pot detector/temp sensor instead of other detection methods.

I know my mate’s Whirlpool unit rejects even his biggest pot.

That’s a 17cm pot.

I will say without measuring it seems to take a little bit longer to boil than the slightly larger pot but might just be my impatience now.

Last edited:

Bighit

Expert Member
I haven’t tried a huge batch of oil at all, only a bit of frying.

When I do a bit more oil (very rarely) I’ll use my thermometer to check what it gets up to.

Out of interest what pot did you use to do the vetkoek in?
I used a 25 cm pot, but next time ill try my smaller 22cm, think you may be on to something here.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What thermometer are you using to compare the temperatures?
Does the cooker say anything about how it was calibrated and at what altitude above sea level?
Also can the cooker work without the associated App?