Microsoft Edge overtakes Firefox in adoption

Drifter

Honorary Master
Fahrk, Covid-19 is starting to fry peoples brains as well.

grok

Honorary Master
I was working remotely and vpn was slow, so up popped Edge with the company intranet homepage. Thought, haven't given this one a try in a while, opened our browser-based BI dev suite & worked, about 3 mins after login the whole browser just closed, poof, gone of the screen, no error messages, just not there anymore.

Thought to myself, when will I ever learn..?

Pythonista

Popularity proves NOTHING. McDonalds burgers are pure crap and still remain the highest sellers. Only proves that people are stupid.

Raithlin

Executive Member
I don't understand how being a default is a factor here (everyone knows it was a crap browser), unless they have been pushing everyone to the new Chromium based Edge - which I have been using since beta, and is better than Chrome in my opinion. It is as quick, uses the same extensions, and doesn't send my data to Google. Also less memory. What's not to like?

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Popularity proves NOTHING. McDonalds burgers are pure crap and still remain the highest sellers. Only proves that people are stupid.
McDonald's isn't installed by default with Windows 10.

Crumbl0x

I don't understand how being a default is a factor here (everyone knows it was a crap browser), unless they have been pushing everyone to the new Chromium based Edge - which I have been using since beta, and is better than Chrome in my opinion. It is as quick, uses the same extensions, and doesn't send my data to Google. Also less memory. What's not to like?
when I got my Windows partition set up for Uni, I thought I would try out the new Edge browser since it was praised heavily nowadays for all those things mentioned above, but I was sorely disappointed.
Firstly yea, Google Telemetry being removed is nice, but you're substituting it for their own: https://betanews.com/2020/03/09/microsoft-edge-privacy-telemetry/ (which, on a Windows platform shouldn't matter anyways but I would never install this on other OSes), then the forced push of Bing in the omnibar and homepage was a let down, but can be mitigated easily, then the performance I did not see at all, OpenGL tests and visuals felt very jerky and scored lower points compared to base Chrome and Firefox, scrolling felt off, and finally hardware video acceleration did not work for some reason, with lastly a BSoD on a federated microblogging site breaking the last straw for me. Could have potential if it didn't have the Microsoft agenda behind it but I will refuse to use this browser again for the rest of my life, when I installed Firefox there again all those issues above were rectified and was much more sane to use, barring the slight sabotages on Google websites.

yuanyasmine

The opera was a dad ...
until it was cut short with the public, until it eventually sank, and then switched to a chromium platform ... since then it's just lame-looking opera ...
and it was such a powerful tool ... it didn't any resources that could not be accessed, holes could be exploited so easily ...
Mozilla's gone too ... I'm using lame now, because in recent months mozila has been working harder ... but resigned and disgusted ..

Crumbl0x

The opera was a dad ...
until it was cut short with the public, until it eventually sank, and then switched to a chromium platform ... since then it's just lame-looking opera ...
and it was such a powerful tool ... it didn't any resources that could not be accessed, holes could be exploited so easily ...
Mozilla's gone too ... I'm using lame now, because in recent months mozila has been working harder ... but resigned and disgusted ..
yea I get what you're saying, while I have to support Firefox and by extension Mozilla, they aren't making the greatest cases for themselves usually and it's disappointing, I can fall back to Iceweasel but that can only take one so far from their codebase, and ungoogled-chromium but then we're back to square one + potentially no adblockers.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Well yes Firefox takes ages to approve extensions and has some really old (2 years+) bugs still. Have to use Chromium on the RPI 4 and have since moved to ungoogled chromium on windows and bromite on android.