Microsoft Office 2019 announced

Thor

Honorary Master
Will be interesting to see what they can do, I still have my office 2016 suite which I use, but lately, I am using Google docs a lot more...

The only real app in office that I have not found a replacement for yet is Outlook.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Mmmmm, so if it comes out the second half of next year, it won't make sense to buy Home and Student 2016 for a laptop that will start being used beginning 2018. Maybe I'll just put 2007 on there and buy Home and Student 2018 when it comes out, then the user can use that for the next 4 and a bit years.

RedViking

Nord of the South
No but Chrome is the best browser anyway and internet is available almost everywhere nowadays.
The browser is not too bad. I just checked the reviews for the add-ons and allot of negative reviews. Thought there might be another way. Unfortunately with Telkom, internet is not reliable.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The browser is not too bad. It just checked the review for the add-ons it allot of negative reviews. Thought there might be another way. Unfortunately with Telkom, internet is not reliable.
If you really need offline support there's always LibreOffice.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
For now...

So long as it remains best of breed productivity suite, that isn't going to change. and the Open Source and Free alternatives are probably 3 generations behind Office so are very unlikely to catch them in the foreseeable future

Thor

Honorary Master
So long as it remains best of breed productivity suite, that isn't going to change. and the Open Source and Free alternatives are probably 3 generations behind Office so are very unlikely to catch them in the foreseeable future

This, we went through the exercise. Nothing compares to Office as a whole. Google docs comes close, but limited offline support is bad.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just a matter of time with more and more kids growing up with Chromebooks and more people realizing that you don't need a zillion feautres hidden behind submenus and tabs.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Just a matter of time with more and more kids growing up with Chromebooks and more people realizing that you don't need a zillion feautres hidden behind submenus and tabs.

Such a fanboi response.... I expected nothing less really.

Its not really supported by any real numbers or evidence though.