Misled By Telkom Staff

orrymr

Hi,

So I took out a 24 month contract with Telkom to tide me over til I got fibre... I explicitly asked the lady who helped me (I've got her name) if I could cancel at any time without incurring a cancellation fee. She said there'd be no fee.

When the time came for me to cancel, I was told that there'd be a fee. I asked their call centre about this, and they said that I can only take it up with the store manager, and they might incur the fee. Unfortunately, they don't answer their phone.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Is there any recourse I can take here?

Thanks!

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
If it's a sim only contract, they will cancel in-store. (I've done this fairly recently)
If you've taken a contract with a device, they will charge you.

Generally, I've found the service in-store to be miiiiles better than online or call center.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Cancellation is normally a balance of the current month and one month's fee. If there is a device involved, they will charge you the remaining balance of the device.

orrymr

If it's a sim only contract, they will cancel in-store. (I've done this fairly recently)
If you've taken a contract with a device, they will charge you.

Generally, I've found the service in-store to be miiiiles better than online or call center.
May I ask, which store?

It is a sim only contract. Call centre is insisting that they charge a cancellation fee. I'll have to head back to the store tomorrow, as I don't have my ID with me, only my driver's license.