Mobile Broadband with Windows Server 2012 R2?

fluxify

Hey Guys,

I've got a server at home which I use as a DHCP server as well as hosting TFS on it, so that I can check my private projects in for source-control. The system is running Windows Server 2012 R2 Data Center, and with that its got the DHCP roles installed so that I can setup a static IP on it for TFS access. It's set to assign the IP addresses for my home network and the DNS is set to the router (I don't have internet access/ADSL as yet - primarily using the server for automated backups of my laptop, and TFS as stated above). I also have a mobile broadband modem (Huawei E1550) which is working perfectly on my laptop (Windows 8.1 Pro).

I would like to check for Windows Updates on my server, and the only option I have now is to plug the actual modem into the server box and connect through that. The problem I'm having is that the modem's drivers installed 100%, and the software needed to connect is also installed 100%. But every time I click on 'Connect', the application returns 'Connection Terminated'. This happens as soon as I click the Connect button (as if it doesn't even connect at all). Obviously I have disabled the DHCP server and firewall before I attempt to connect (and also disconnected the box from the router), but the same problem persists. I have tried connecting through the Windows 'Dial-Up' connection, but the same problem exists.

Is there a known issue with mobile broadband modems and WS2012 (I'm using Server 2012 R2, not the 2012 edition)? If not, what steps can I follow to resolve the issue?

Just a point of interest: I have tried using a 3G router (disable DHCP only on the server) and it connects to the internet, but unfortunately that router is not mine and so had to return it to the owner. I would like to keep my system up to date as I'm also using that server for testing purposes, which requires the latest updates for Windows.

I have installed the WiFi/Wireless Networking role on the server too, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any insights on this matter will be greatly appreciated.