Mobile data which lasts 3 years

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I think 1 year would be sufficient.

But the more critical item is: Users must be given an option to opt-in or opt-out of being charged out-of-bundle data rates. Why the OOB shark still exists on networks other than Telkom Mobile is criminal.

Jacques

“Vodacom: For example, enforcing a 3-year expiry period for prepaid data bundles will eliminate our hugely-popular daily and weekly offers.”

“Of the more than 2 billion bundles that our customers will use this year, the majority are smaller and micro-bundles.”
How to respond to this without cursing... :mad:

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Surely analytics are available that indicate people are more likely to spend buying more data when the expiry date is longer?

konfab

Honorary Master
1)All licensees are required to provide prepaid data bundles with a minimum expiry period of 3 years.
2)Licensees are required to send usage notifications for data depletion to users – the intervals must show 50%, 75%, 90%, and 100% depletion.
3)Rollover of unused minutes and data.
4)Users must be given an option to opt-in or opt-out of being charged out-of-bundle data rates.
I have no problem with 2 or 4 as they give control of the product to the users, but 1 and 3 are simply stupid. They will do the exact opposite of what they intend and increase the price of data.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
How about you have to offer 3 year expiry on standard bundles, but you can offer others with shorter expiry?

The point is, if this is law, Telkom would NOT be offering 500GB nightsurfer for R50 anymore.

damian24

Sky in the UK offers 3 year roll-over on mobile data. also 50GB data, unlimited minutes and messaging for 30 pounds a month.

Don't really get why Vodacom thinks the consumer need to be researched more...

D

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
How about you have to offer 3 year expiry on standard bundles, but you can offer others with shorter expiry?

The point is, if this is law, Telkom would NOT be offering 500GB nightsurfer for R50 anymore.
There is lots they can do, not so much they will do.

tin4444

I was just about to ask, how is this going to affect the 500gb bundle from Telkom.

Also does this only apply to prepaid? Wondering specifically with regards to Rain and Afrihost/Axxess products.

DailyTech

I think 1 year would be sufficient.

But the more critical item is: Users must be given an option to opt-in or opt-out of being charged out-of-bundle data rates. Why the OOB shark still exists on networks other than Telkom Mobile is criminal.
+1111

Gozzy

The easiest solution:

1) User buys data, data NEVER expires unless of user inactivity, user finishes data no out of bundle charges, that's it. Oh and add the sms alerts (50%.... etc)

Not that hard lol

Swa

Honorary Master
“This will significantly limit customer choice and it is our belief that an environment should exist where network operators are able to compete by giving customers more options,” said Vodacom.

“For example, enforcing a 3-year expiry period for prepaid data bundles will eliminate our hugely-popular daily and weekly offers.”
More corporate BS'ing. You mean the bundles nobody really wants but buy because the larger bundle expire so soon?

I was just about to ask, how is this going to affect the 500gb bundle from Telkom.

Also does this only apply to prepaid? Wondering specifically with regards to Rain and Afrihost/Axxess products.
As I understand it it doesn't as those aren't standard bundles.