Mobile

Zatoka

I work on a fishing boat & use a Huawei B315s router on the MTN network. Over the years I've noticed that the distance from shore that I get a decent signal has reduced significantly. What is the reason for this & what can I do to iprove signal quality/range?

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Thats likely because the networks are changing/optimizing antennas and in the process reduce (or attempt to) wasteful RF signal being sent offshore where nobody is likely to use it.

VoraciousLion

I work on a fishing boat & use a Huawei B315s router on the MTN network. Over the years I've noticed that the distance from shore that I get a decent signal has reduced significantly. What is the reason for this & what can I do to iprove signal quality/range?
I work on trawlers that go up to 120 nm from the coast, I don't have any reception for 95% of my 45 day voyage, I stay within South african waters though. I don't have any advice other than I have found MTN to be the network that has reception for the longest as we head out, until it is all gone and then has regains reception before all other networks as we head back home.
A satellite phone is the best solution for us but not the most cost friendly, I have seen satellite mobile routers being sold but also very costly

airborne

Executive Member
Get a poynting signal boosting antennae, that will maximise what signal is there.

Also possibly replace the router because the marine environment destroys electronics designed for shore use, many contacts in the router may have been corroded and the amplifier efficiency and other aspects may have been compromised. That would be especially true if as you moved further offshore your cellphone maintained network connectivity whilst the router lost it.