Money problems have officially gotten..

pmh

.. the better of me.

I am basically on my way down the tubes, and with every interest rate hike and fuel price increase i just struggle more.. Basically i'm keeping my bond and car repayment upto date, cos i cant be homeless and i need my car to get to work :D But seriously i dunno what to do anymore. Its so bad i cant afford to eat and the worrying is getting me down. I feel there is no way out and that being said, is life worth living anymore? Yes i got myself into this mess with the help of so called "Loved ones"...

Sorry just needed to get that off my chest, have nowhere else to blow off the steam..

Wont complain if Admins feel the need to delete this thread ;)

Nick333

Honorary Master
.. the better of me.

I am basically on my way down the tubes, and with every interest rate hike and fuel price increase i just struggle more.. Basically i'm keeping my bond and car repayment upto date, cos i cant be homeless and i need my car to get to work :D But seriously i dunno what to do anymore. Its so bad i cant afford to eat and the worrying is getting me down. I feel there is no way out and that being said, is life worth living anymore? Yes i got myself into this mess with the help of so called "Loved ones"...

Sorry just needed to get that off my chest, have nowhere else to blow off the steam..

Wont complain if Admins feel the need to delete this thread ;)
Not being funny but you can get by quite well on rice, beans and veggies if you have to. Get a library card. Its a good time to get Zen. Baton the hatches and ride it out.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
I know that feeling.

We're presently there. Not nice. :(

Good luck, you will need lots of it.

Last edited:

kaspaas

Expert Member
Just keep up.

I went through a similar situation when interest rates spiked at 25% (repo rate) during the previous reserve bank madness.

I was down eating soya meat replacements and pap ... no beer, coke or any luxuries. Eggs are wonderful highly nourishing cheapies.

The big thing to remember is that your next increase is around the corner - within a few months you will get more cash. These high rates have a limited life. They will drop within the next year or so.

Speak to all creditors - including the car and bond guys and tell them you are up to date, and you are battling, and you will do your best

If you need to slip, slip on all debts. In general creditors get worried if you are in total more than 3 months in arrears. But speak to them.

Under the new legislation, get the services of a debt consultant or whatever they are called.

Get rid of all other debts starting at the smallest one - it generates a cash reprieve.

The big thing is to buy time until your next increase or the next drop in interest rates.

One gets so used living on the cheap, that it is almost impossible to buy a beer when things are going better.

Been there, done the battle and survived. It was worth it!

Last edited:

pmh

Not being funny but you can get by quite well on rice, beans and veggies if you have to. Get a library card. Its a good time to get Zen. Baton the hatches and ride it out.
Hahaha, i'm eating jungle oats mostly at the moment.

@ Kaspass i'm trying to keep up but slowly every month its getting worse. i recon soon i'll be giving up good in my house :( but hey it also makes you appreciate what once was good times.

MeNeZ

Expert Member
Lifes all about ups & downs...

Have you watched that movie called "The Secret"? - If not, I strongly suggest you do. I got goosebumps watching it because alot of what they talk about I had done and still do

kaspaas

Expert Member

@ Kaspass i'm trying to keep up but slowly every month its getting worse. i recon soon i'll be giving up good in my house :( but hey it also makes you appreciate what once was good times.
Consider letting your house and move into much cheaper accommodation. Or get a boarder of some kind for your house.

There is usually a number of honest creative ways of getting extra cash.

Sleep at work every second night if possible - it saves fuel and time. ;)

Go for it!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Only real advice I have is if you are going to miss a payment, speak to the creditor *before* it happens and not afterwards. More chance of coming to an arrangement that suits everyone that way.

Velenoso

Expert Member
Don't ever consider things like suicide because of money problems. I've been so broke, so many times. I once lived in an apartment with just a mattress, a pan and some cutlery with only a little radio as entertainment. Just persevere. It can only get better.

pmh

Don't ever consider things like suicide because of money problems. I've been so broke, so many times. I once lived in an apartment with just a mattress, a pan and some cutlery with only a little radio as entertainment. Just persevere. It can only get better.
sad thing is i have considered it, i never thought i'd ever think those thoughts hey, but now i have.

Menez i have seen the Secret and i agree 100% with it, but its hard to think positive thoughts when there are none to think of.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master

We cut out all unnecessary expenses - it's difficult, but can be done. :)

BigBear

Expert Member
Hang on...

...It can't go on like this forever, i am sure every 1 else including myself is feeling your pain so you are not alone.;)
If you try to manage everything as best as you can and cut down on some of the luxuries, there is a good possibility you will make it.:)
The interest rates can't get any higher like they did in 1998/1999/2000 something around the 20%.
They will have to bring it down sometime it is really hurting this country's finance.

pmh

thanks guys, just needed to blow off steam. got no1 else i can talk to :(

Alan

Honorary Master
Almost everybody hits the skids sometime. It looks like the only way is down but it manages to turn around and before you know it you're back on track again.

Pitbull

Verboten
I'm lucky to not be in the situation as yet.

I bought a Bike, and took a R 10k in the last few months. But I'm also working allot of overtime. This I actually get out more now than I did before, even after paying all the new additions. I do lose allot of personal time. But once the Rates go down I don't need the over time no more.

I'm just glad that there is so much over time available. If not I would have been fk'd ;)

StellenboschStudent

Expert Member
Been in this situation as a student (okay, not really the same, still have dad if i really need cash), ate 2-minute noodles and oats for half a year... so sick of that stuff...

You always find someplace to cut some spending... even if it is eating less or less expensive stuff...
At least it will get better sometime, can not just keep getting worse.

Killove

Expert Member
Don't kill yourself, how will that solve things?

I'm very anti-suicide since a family member did that a while back.
Just stick it out, and remember if you feel you're at rock bottom, keep in mind that it can only get better from there.

Everyone is suffering, some more than others, it's not just you pmh.
Instead of spending your time worrying, why not try concentrate on how to improve your current situation.

Worst comes to worst, do what I say I will always do should I consider suicide.
Move to the mountains and become a monk practising Kung-Fu all day.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I know I might not be in the same situation...

But try seeing being all out of money/luck/etc...as an opportunity to start again, from the beginning... especially if you're young.

If it makes you feel any better... I started with nothing, I actually slept on the floor with no mattress, pillow or duvet for half a year before I could afford to buy those things... and it was winter... , food and petrol were virtually non-existant, there were months were I used to collect empty glass bottles just to get the deposit so I could put petrol in to get to work, this wasn't long ago either...2001... by struggling through it, and not giving up, I now have a stable life...

Last edited:

pmh

Don't kill yourself, how will that solve things?

I'm very anti-suicide since a family member did that a while back.
Just stick it out, and remember if you feel you're at rock bottom, keep in mind that it can only get better from there.

Everyone is suffering, some more than others, it's not just you pmh.
Instead of spending your time worrying, why not try concentrate on how to improve your current situation.

Worst comes to worst, do what I say I will always do should I consider suicide.
Move to the mountains and become a monk practising Kung-Fu all day.
For sure dude, i'm still here at the moment. i prob wouldnt do it. its so not worth killing your self over a problem that can be solved in time (be it a long time)

I keep listening to the Suicide Song by Bobby Gaylor, that keeps making me smile. Gives reasons to kill yourself but then give EVEN BETTER reasons to live... sounds dumb but it keeps me going.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Also thought of suicide at some stage, but realized that wife+kids would be worse off.

Not worth it in the long run.