Money problems have officially gotten..

Lord Anubis

Expert Member
IMHO I think we're heading to 25% or worse :(

We are definitely in a severe recession here in SA and when petrol hits R200 a barrel we will inadverdantly be chowing petrol at R20,00 a litre. Yes, it will get that bad in the next six months. The best is now to sell off and get rid of all your debt asap. Rather sell your house at a loss even and then refinance the remainder. Sell your car nad buy a junker to get to work and back. There are still some cheap cars out there.

Th problem is that I think that the SARB doesn't have the vision necessary to resolve this crises. I also think that the GVT's alliance partners (who do moan a little) will not stand up for the working man.

Lastly, all I can say is ....brace brace brace for impact.

If you can sell your car or house and down scale or rent rather, do it asap...otherwise you wont eat

RichardG

Honorary Master
I'd recommend the following to at least save a buck or 2....

1. Do not pay the guys at the car park. (Saving R100)
2. Cancel Cellphone Contract (Saving Approx R500) PRE-PAID
3. Cancel your home telephone. (Saving R800 plus on rental) Pre-Paid
4. Cancel your DSL,wireless internet connectivity( Move over to NeoTel)
5. Sell your car, buy a cheaper car for around R50 GRAND,
6. Stop using your Car, use public transport
7. Girlfriend, get rid of her! If she is cheap to maintain like R500 keep her, more get rid of.
8. Keep track of your finances...
9. Try not to live on credit, and break the Garage credit cards...
10. To withdraw money simple, go to any pick n pay saves u on withdrawn from an atm.
11. Do not switch on lights, rather use candles,
12. Stop using electricity stove, get yourself GAS, CHEAPER and can last you months to come ( Saving approx R1000 or more, depending on the capacity of your gas bottle.
13. Do not go out on weekends, stay home. Invite friends to your house they bring the meat, u do the drinks.
14. Do not buy branded name clothing, rather go to Mr Price, or clear out stores...

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
1. Do not pay the guys at the car park. (Saving R100)
- I only have credit card (and debit card i dont use because thats R2 per transaction) in my wallet, no cash, cant give beggars, carguards, hawkers or work colleagues a cent since they don't carry pay stations around :p

2. Cancel Cellphone Contract (Saving Approx R500) PRE-PAID
- You for got one should pay to cancel contract. Mine is only at most R250 a month, and I do use my 120 off peak minutes to phone friends that life too far away to drive too, so thats cheaper than petrol. Do that almost every night.

3. Cancel your home telephone. (Saving R800 plus on rental) Pre-Paid
- Then i cant have ADSL... :(

4. Cancel your DSL,wireless internet connectivity( Move over to NeoTel)
- Neotel = R599, Telkom bill = R369.90 pm, saving suggestion makes me spend more Rs?

5. Sell your car, buy a cheaper car for around R50 GRAND,
- Got paid off Uno, but its not reliable enough for long distance so I use the frugal Uno for work and back, for long distance is why I got the Bantam and its fixed rate and costs me R2400 a month (R3000 with insurance for both cars and household goods). And Bantam should last me a long time without being costly to maintain.

6. Stop using your Car, use public transport
- Take 2 to 3 hours to do the trip to work when I can do it in less than 25min in my car? And I'd be late to boot?

7. Girlfriend, get rid of her! If she is cheap to maintain like R500 keep her, more get rid of.
- Dont have gf, big score for my Rs! :D Bad score for my heart :(

8. Keep track of your finances...
- Doing that

9. Try not to live on credit, and break the Garage credit cards...
-Credit card is in positive and swipes for groceries go off that and no fees

10. To withdraw money simple, go to any pick n pay saves u on withdrawn from an atm.
- With credit card, I dont need to draw cash (swipe for small R20 or R30 amounts even) or pay transaction fees for swipe

11. Do not switch on lights, rather use candles,
- I only light the room I'm in without a fire hazard and with good light for reading

12. Stop using electricity stove, get yourself GAS, CHEAPER and can last you months to come ( Saving approx R1000 or more, depending on the capacity of your gas bottle.
- Buy already cooked food

13. Do not go out on weekends, stay home. Invite friends to your house they bring the meat, u do the drinks.
- Stay at home and play PC games and postwhore to keep entertained (with that ADSL line I need to get rid of?) Friends must bring their own drink, god, mine would make me broke forever!

14. Do not buy branded name clothing, rather go to Mr Price, or clear out stores...
- Mr Price and Meltz are great :)

Bondizzo

Expert Member
Everybody is just talking about saving which is good, but no one talks about getting another source of income ?

RichardG

Honorary Master
Everybody is just talking about saving which is good, but no one talks about getting another source of income ?
Simple Solution I'd recommend is to become a stripper on straight nights, or go to the side of the road and wait for a women to ask how much are your services. :p

Dolby

Honorary Master
my wife nor my kids will ever have to work again :D
Now, just to get a way to make it look like an accident :p
Nice thing about that, is that 6 months after you're gone and she's got a new squeeze - they can both share your money together!

Er. Wait. That's not so nice :(

CathJ

Expert Member
Because one full time job, especially combined with a family, takes up all your time already :)

Turiko

Banned
Well, I am, for one, considering a part time job on Saturdays to bring in extra cash. Not a bad idea at all....

RichardG

Honorary Master
Well, I am, for one, considering a part time job on Saturdays to bring in extra cash. Not a bad idea at all....
What job you want to do part-time :) I hope it's a job that pays more than R300 for the day.

Fuma

Executive Member
What job you want to do part-time :) I hope it's a job that pays more than R300 for the day.
Been hearing about this after hours/weekends data capturing job that you can make about R2500 a week. Not sure how legit it is.

Tried to get more info but with no success! Anyone?