Most popular computer brands in SA

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I did not peg Dell there... Interesting!
They are pushed through a welcomed channel, great support. Don't know about the general consumer, but on business level it is sublime. Acer is also trying hard to push in this direction... Lenovo on the other hand needs a better local "authorised" distributor.

Jola

Honorary Master
Surprised that Apple is that high. Tried to buy Apple desktops twice last year and could never get one due to non - existent sales support. This was at the iStore and at IC.

koeks525

Expert Member
All the HP laptops I have had or ran into never lasted, they were around for 2 years or so :(

I got a Dell...its been going strong for about 3 years now, although its giving me small problems like the fan always spinning up and down, strange hard drive sounds.

PhireSide

Executive Member
As above, Dell is very commonplace in the work environment and their warranties system is excellent.

I think many Dell laptops are sold as well for personal use which adds up.

TheGuy

Expert Member
+1 to Dell best after sales service of any product I have ever experienced.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Dell for the win !! Only recently got a Dell lappie and it's really awesome quality.

genetic

Honorary Master
We have Dell editing workstations, and the support we receive from them is superb. Nothing compares. We have a few Mac Pro's too, and support isn't even supplied by Apple. We have to use a 3rd party supplier who charge us an absolute fortune.

Dell isn't cheap, but we're very happy with their after sales support.

kripstoe

Expert Member
Dell isn't cheap, but we're very happy with their after sales support.
Dell were supposed to replace the one fan in my XPS 15 almost 2 weeks ago. I've followed up a week ago after hearing nothing from them. Still waiting.

Grant

Honorary Master
i dont particularly like dell, but their service is beyond what i have ever experienced.

a mate bought one in the usa & retuned to cape town.
the thing kept shutting down.
a techie went out to his house in hout bay & replaced the ram.
the thing started shutting down a day later.
techie came back, changed the main board.
the thing started shutting down two days later.
techie came back, took the old machine to his car & retuned with a brand new replacement.

beans100

Honorary Master
Dell FTW. Great products and warranty second to none.
Only thing I don't like about there support, is the after hours support. Then the local offices is closed and if you phone, you get put through to an Irish bloke who does not know how to speak English (they claim that they do). Also, any support call that can take 5 minutes, usually takes up to 30 or 40 minutes, where you wait most of the time listening to the guy n the other side typing.

For me personally, Lenovo!!!! SO got a Lenovo laptop and netbook. The netbook, S10, is 6 years old. It came out with XP, she had Linux Mint on there for over a year. Now It's running Windows 7, effortlessly. Couldn't believe that Atom processor performing so well with Windows 7.
SO also bought herself the Lenovo A3000 beginning of this year.

Jase

Expert Member
My Acer Timeline is still ticking along quite nicely after 2.5yrs.

Vice

Expert Member
HP's business/professional laptops are not good quality (better explained as ***). These are laptops that are machines that are supposed to be high-end. Most reported problems are screens going blank when booting up. I personally experienced this failure on 2 diff laptops within a year of their purchase.

Grep

Found the winning formula a few years ago. Dell for servers and Acer for laptops.

falcon786

Executive Member
Interesting stats.

I had a HP DV6 laptop that served me well for almost 8 years plus that included lots of drops on tiles from table height and kids using/abusing it sometimes standing on it!Only issues ever were heat buildup if it was on a pillow on your lap(it spent literally thousands of hours like this though) and the charger gave up after 6 years.The battery life still could last up to an hour and a half after almost 8 years!Unfortunately last week it took a serious drop from the first floor to ground floor and basically the DVD tray cover broke off but DVD rom still works and the lcd cracked.The laptop still works with a normal desktop lcd,I must say I'm quite impressed.

A friend had a newish lenovo i5 laying around so I bought it of him since I have heard good things about these thinkpads.Lets hope its as bullet proof as the HP dv6 proved to be.