Mozilla Firefox powers research

Too4

the article tagline is a bit ambiguous - it reads as if Firefox is being used to research steroids.

threegee

Actually I've been a Firefox user since it first launched and for many years it was the best browser ... but not so much anymore. Their recent updates ver 3.6 and up have been nothing but dismal. The updates broke many people's Mozilla and subsequent updates have not improved things either. Go check their forums and see the hundreds and hundreds of complaints, and keep in mind this is the people who bother to register on a forum and complain. Particularly there is some major memory leaks in the new versions and to date Mozilla has seemingly not done anything to address the complaints. After a bit of buggering around I disabled and deleted every single add on for Firefox, stripped it down to a base system and then only installed the two add ons I need most and now it seems to be working OK but they still broke my trust in their product when they pushed 3.6 my way in the first place. I see a lot of people starting to choose Chrome now judging from some of the comments and blogs I've been reading in past weeks. It took Mozilla a long time and a lot of hard work to build up their reputation and it's sad to see it go to the dogs, I do hope they get their programmers back on track as they seem to have lost their way.

Vice

Expert Member
I love what they've done with FF, esp Zotero. I remember how I struggled when I did my research(s) in the past two years, and I had to keep track of things/material on a notepad for later referencing. The second add-on is also cool. I would have found it handy too to track the "lost" pages.

gpe

Thanks for article. Useful yeah. I recently discovered 'Resurrect Pages' and its great, so keen to see Zotero

mmsimanga

Change is never easy but sometimes it is necessary. I love Firefox and Zotero made writing my thesis that much easier. However lately I find myself using Chrome more often, I am still attached to Firefox but the memory leaks and the freezing of my computer when using Firefox is getting unbearable. Hopefully issues identified in recent releases will be fixed shortly because Chrome does not have all the addons that Firefox has.

DGremlin

I have used most browsers and still end up using FF, FF recently has had some problems which did leave me wondering if it was time to look at the other alternatives again, but I am on 3.5.8 now and its behaving.
FF is a little top heavy, but not to bad but enough to do with a trim.