MPs call for consequences following Sona delay

rambo919

Executive Member

CAPE TOWN - Members of Parliament have called for EFF-elected MPs to be referred for disciplinary action following their conduct ahead of the State of the Nation Address on Thursday.

The State of the Nation Address was delayed for over an hour as MPs raised multiple points of order based on the presence of former apartheid-era president FW de Klerk and Minister of Public Works Pravin Gordhan.

The DA's interim leader John Steenhuisen raised a point of privilege, stating in terms of the Powers, Privileges, and Immunities of Parliament Act that the conduct of EFF MPs was an act of contempt and should be referred to the parliamentary committee for disciplinary consequences.

The ANC Chief Whip Pemmy Majodina stated the Parliamentary procedures must be amended to prevent disruption of this nature from happening again.

Earlier in the evening, during the adjournment of Parliament, Minister for Public Works and Infrastructure Patricia de Lille commented on the issue, stating the MPs should have been asked to leave after Speaker Thandi Modise's ruling was made.
"I fought for this democracy, many people died for this democracy many people went into exile for this democracy and if people don't understand what is the meaning of democracy... we all have opinions but it's wrong if you use your opinion to judge other people," said De Lille.

"The EFF, many of them, don't know what we went through for the freedom of this country today so I will not be sitting there to be insulted by young people who don't respect the rule of law."

newjourno

Tough one. The EFF love attention so they actually may be happy if action is taken against them.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Dock them a month's pay. That will surely set them straight.
They will spin it as Jamnadas controlling Parliament or something...

All in all though, the display by the EFF last night showed that they were even more out of touch with the average South African than the ANC, and that takes some doing in my opinion.

Pitbull

Verboten
They will spin it as Jamnadas controlling Parliament or something...

All in all though, the display by the EFF last night showed that they were even more out of touch with the average South African than the ANC, and that takes some doing in my opinion.
The EFF are just hanging themselves.

They support the desperate and destitute. The people who have no real education and or income. The poorest of the poor and they stole their money via VBS. EFF is done. I think they know it and trying to keep themselves relevant.

yebocan

Honorary Master
rules will be tightened - general consensuses from the majority of parties, represented in Parliament.... Parliament was caught napping and the EFF took the gap...the Joint Sitting rules are not as robust as the National Assembly rules, to deal with matters like this.
The EFF have miscalculated the national mood, but no matter how ugly it looked, they mostly operated within the rules that were in effect on the day.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The EFF were encouraged to behave this way in the past because of a united opposition to Jacob Zuma. They don't have that same support anymore from the rest of the opposition and are just pissing everyone off.

yebocan

Honorary Master
The EFF are just hanging themselves.

They support the desperate and destitute. The people who have no real education and or income. The poorest of the poor and they stole their money via VBS. EFF is done. I think they know it and trying to keep themselves relevant.
Their hardon for PG, he is closing all their "income streams". The EFF is tapping into the anger of young blacks, that the state has let down, with inferior education = no real job prospects, especially in our ailing economy That is why, education +youth unemployment MUST be addressed, or we are heading to an EFF national election victory. Then it will truly be midnight in / nag vir ZA

newjourno

Their hardon for PG, he is closing all their "income streams". The EFF is tapping into the anger of young blacks, that the state has let down, with inferior education = no real job prospects, especially in our ailing economy That is why, education +youth unemployment MUST be addressed, or we are heading to an EFF national election victory. Then it will truly be midnight in / nag vir ZA

I don't think Malema will ever be president. He will be exposed before that happens. He also does not appear to be on good terms with members from within his own party at the moment so someone from within might eventually expose him.

Once Malema goes, the party is dead.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
The EFF were encouraged to behave this way in the past because of a united opposition to Jacob Zuma. They don't have that same support anymore from the rest of the opposition and are just pissing everyone off.
???

They actually got more support in the 2019 elections than the 2014 elections.

newjourno

Many black youth, many from working class backgrounds and disillusioned by the ANC see the EFF as the only real alternative. They see Malema as being a leader who "calls a spade a spade".

This will probably help to boost the EFF's popularity. It is fashionable to support them right now but that novelty will eventually fade away.

They might just win a municipality soon but will mismanage it so badly and be exposed.

C4Cat

Executive Member
???

They actually got more support in the 2019 elections than the 2014 elections.
Yes, coming off the back of the whole Zuma opposition. I'm not saying they will necessarily lose support, though it's what I suspect, but I'd like to see if their support continues to grow

yebocan

Honorary Master
I don't think Malema will ever be president. He will be exposed before that happens. He also does not appear to be on good terms with members from within his own party at the moment so someone from within might eventually expose him.

Once Malema goes, the party is dead.
he runs a tight ship, no dissent is allowed, or you become a water boy...ask old Ndlozi . The fact that you never hear about (continual) internal squabbles coming from them ... they toe the line. Agreed, EFF is largely a persona fueled endeavor ...but I would not leave anything to chance, when it comes to the EFF...education and youth unemployment needs to be addressed, its a bloody ticking time bomb. That being said, their VBS adventure is yet to be laid out by the NPA.

newjourno

he runs a tight ship, no dissent is allowed, or you become a water boy...ask old Ndlozi . The fact that you never hear about (continual) internal squabbles coming from them ... they toe the line. Agreed, EFF is largely a persona fueled endeavor ...but I would not leave anything to chance, when it comes to the EFF...education and youth unemployment needs to be addressed, its a bloody ticking time bomb. That being said, their VBS adventure is yet to be laid out by the NPA.
Things might not be too good between him and Dali Mpofu at the moment. Malema needs to manage that carefully because I'm almost certain that Mpofu knows stuff that Malema will not really want the public to know about.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Things might not be too good between him and Dali Mpofu at the moment. Malema needs to manage that carefully because I'm almost certain that Mpofu knows stuff that Malema will not really want the public to know about.
I doubt there will not be a palace coup - as mentioned, Malema runs a tight ship - their internal politics should be a side entertaining distraction and not the(main) reason we hope the EFF will never win a national election. Need to starve them of support - by getting the country to start functioning and the economy meaningfully start absorbing the unemployed.

newjourno

Did something happen between him and Ndlozi?

I know that something happened between him and Naledi Chirwa. But he can't exactly get rid of her easily as she is quite popular among the University populist types and SJW's, a big source of EFF voters.

lumeer

Expert Member
The EFF only got 10% of votes in last year's election. They must sit down and be quiet.