MTN FrontRow review

Bosvark@

Expert Member
Will wait and see how this service turns out before I make a move.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Unlicensed downloading using BitTorrent or Usenet.
VPN/proxy “piracy” which lets South Africans access services such as Netflix and Hulu.
Typical "FUD" - Paying for content is now considered "piracy" :rolleyes:

Reads like a PSA from your local content provider.

Last edited:

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not being able to cancel your subscription from the website = epic fail! How can you even think of launching a subscription-based website in 2014/2015 that's missing possibly one of the most essential pieces of functionality that a subscription-based website should have?

Jan

Drifting in the black
Typical "FUD" - Paying for content is now considered "piracy" :rolleyes:

Reads like a PSA from your local content provider.
That's why it's in inverted commas ;).

Bypassing geoblocks has been considered piracy by copyright owners for quite some time - nothing new there.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

Bypassing geoblocks has been considered piracy by copyright owners for quite some time - nothing new there.
The article sounded like it was written by that Multichoice employee qwertyza.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

But why is the special description reserved only for [legitimate] streaming services and not for "unlicensed downloading using BitTorrent or Usenet" - aka piracy?

Jan

Drifting in the black
But why is the special description reserved only for [legitimate] streaming services and not for "unlicensed downloading using BitTorrent or Usenet" - aka piracy?
I don't think I follow.

I differentiate between the two so that readers who aren't familiar with geoblocking workarounds can understand that MTN FrontRow will have to compete against Netflix - even though Netflix hasn't launched in South Africa - and that guys like MTN and Times Media Group are probably unhappy about having to compete against Netflix.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I don't think I follow.

I differentiate between the two so that readers who aren't familiar with geoblocking workarounds can understand that MTN FrontRow will have to compete against Netflix - even though Netflix hasn't launched in South Africa - and that guys like MTN and Times Media Group are probably unhappy about having to compete against Netflix.
Don't worry Jan - most of us readers got it. As I indicated in a post after your first article, just to be seen as one of many competing services is their first (and biggest) problem right there.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
So far, the Node and Vidi have flattered to deceive (me). Looks like FrontRow will too. What I don't get is these folks are coming in at market related prices but have far from market related content to offer.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
So far, the Node and Vidi have flattered to deceive (me). Looks like FrontRow will too. What I don't get is these folks are coming in at market related prices but have far from market related content to offer.
This x 1000.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Review disclosure: the reviewer signed up for the service with his own credit card, which he finances from his salary. He wasn’t charged (possibly because he was one of the first 1,000 users), but even if he were billed, the delicious food and coffee he gets at the MyBroadband offices more than make up for it.
Subliminal message detected!

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
However, one thing that is glaringly absent from the FrontRow website is the ability to change or cancel your subscription.
Thanks but no thanks MTN! Piss off!

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Nothing about Audio options (Stereo, DD5.1, etc) nor details about how the Video quality scales and up to what it scales (480, 720, etc)

mpdjhb

Lack of an online ability to unsubscribe (thanks MTN but dealing with your call centre is not an option). Fail.
Forcing me to use Silverlight on a PC to watch also a no-go. I have a perfectly good flat screen I would rather use. (and no, running HDMI from my laptop to my TV is not something I want to do).

Call me when you get to 2015 and we can talk again

Jan

Drifting in the black
Just got some more feedback from MTN: "From the 29th January 2015 the unsubscribe option will be available on the MTN FrontRow website." -- Larry Annetts: Chief Marketing Officer, MTN SA