MTN Month-to-month SIM only contracts

RayFre

I suspect MTN of false advertising in their October 2020 issue of the Yellow trader magazine. The reason for my accusation is as follows:

I have been trying to open a month to month contract advertised in the October Issue of the Yellow Trader magazine with MTN since 9 October 2020, when I visited the local MTN store at Riverside Boulevard Mall in Vanderbijlpark.

The deal in question is for 220GB monthly data on a month to month basis for R399 (see advert below – Deal 2020982CT06375 bottom middle option).
MTN Oct 2020 deal.png
The advertisement states on the bottom right that if you buy the MF286R modem upfront, you get the first month free, so logically, buying the modem is not a requirement and if you don’t take the modem you will pay R399 from the first month.

This deal was not available on the system when I visited the MTN store, and a ticket was logged with MTN by the store clerk. When following up a few days later, I was informed MTN is aware of the problem and will load the deal on the system.

They would call me when it is done. I never got a call-back and subsequent visits to the store during October did also not result in a resolution, in that they were still waiting for MTN to resolve the matter.

It is interesting to note that the November issue of the Yellow Trader magazine now states definitively that you need to by the modem upfront to get the month to month deal, which was not the case in October when I wanted to open the contract.

My first call to MTN sales team was logged on 19 October 2020, but I was told that they do not handle orders advertised in the Yellow Trader magazine and need to go back to my local store.

I have been communicating via email (complaints@mtn.com) since 2 November 2020, and via Twitter @MTNzaService as from the same date. All I get is the standard response that I need to call the MTN sales team (who cannot help me) or they have escalated the query and will get back to me ASAP.

The latest response today via Twitter is that I need to buy the modem to get the deal. I have replied that it was not a requirement in October when I wanted to open the contract, but MTN has not responded as yet.

Anyone else had success in opening one of these contracts?

Van87

I've went into a Gateway MTN store here in Durban for the very same deal, in October. No luck.

Luckily the staff were very helpful and friendly, and after about 5mins trying to figure out how to find this deal (since it's so new, they don't know requirements etc)

I visited after 2 days, and as we proceeded through the process, the lady noticed that I had to make a purchase of said router.

I mentioned I have a router and that's why the SIM only and month to month deal appealed to me.

Alas nothing can be done, So I walked out empty handed.

If it's too good to be true...

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
You must buy a router with these month to month deals. There's the catch.

That was also the case in October. Read the T&C.

EDIT: They've probably stated it explicitly now to avoid flak.

RayFre

You must buy a router with these month to month deals. There's the catch.

That was also the case in October. Read the T&C.

EDIT: They've probably stated it explicitly now to avoid flak.
I could not find anything in the T&Cs at the bottom of the page stating the requirement to buy the modem in the October Issue. Am I overlooking something in the advertisement?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
I could not find anything in the T&Cs at the bottom of the page stating the requirement to buy the modem in the October Issue. Am I overlooking something in the advertisement?
Dunno about the physical issue. But been there on the website.

upup

Executive Member
Somewhere was a pic saying sim is router lock and router is network lock and deal is blackfriday lock and deal is still open.

RayFre

they dont want your business. yet you beg and plead for it? just move on.
I live in a rural area with limited cell coverage. I have been with all the other cell operators, and MTN has by far the best coverage in my area. So yes, they do not want my business, but I am not in the fortunate position to just move on.