MTN SA appoints new CEO

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Wow!
Muslims rocking the telecoms scene....Shameel Joosub, vodacom, Ashraf Patel, o-tel...now this dude..
It is a way for companies to get competent people in at the top and meet BEE demands. The Government is powerless against this. They will not dare question the appointment of a Muslim person in top positions and the company that appoints them know that they are not stuck with a comrade that meets the BEE targets but cannot deliver the goods.

tRoN

Executive Member
It is a way for companies to get competent people in at the top and meet BEE demands. The Government is powerless against this. They will not dare question the appointment of a Muslim person in top positions and the company that appoints them know that they are not stuck with a comrade that meets the BEE targets but cannot deliver the goods.
I don't know about the BEE.
There are companies that are I know that only consider African as BEE e.g some oil companies will only consider a fuel retailer if it is 51% or more African shareholding.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
I don't know about the BEE.
There are companies that are I know that only consider African as BEE e.g some oil companies will only consider a fuel retailer if it is 51% or more African shareholding.
As far as I know companies cannot insist that Black per BEE = African Black. That would be racist.

Haldex

Expert Member
Lol you make it sound like Muslim is a race.
You get many white Muslims, even Afrikaans white Muslims.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Lol you make it sound like Muslim is a race.
You get many white Muslims, even Afrikaans white Muslims.
True. But you did understand what I was trying to say. In the SA context most Muslims are not "white" but a large portion are Afrikaans yes (in Cape Town at least). Understood.

R13...

Honorary Master
MTN's current and previous group CEOs were both African black. :wtf:

tRoN

Executive Member
As far as I know companies cannot insist that Black per BEE = African Black. That would be racist.
An oil company once had on the website clearly stating that only "..applications from black African will be considered..."

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Group CEO not MTN SA. I am trying to impress upon you that they appointed black CEOs to head the entire group.
Well, this article that my comments refer to states: "MTN has announced that it has appointed former chief financial officer, Zunaid Bulbulia as CEO for the group’s South African operations.

Bulbulia will replace former MD, Karel Pienaar, who will now function as the MTN Group chief strategy officer."

R13...

Honorary Master
Well, this article that my comments refer to states: "MTN has announced that it has appointed former chief financial officer, Zunaid Bulbulia as CEO for the group’s South African operations.

Bulbulia will replace former MD, Karel Pienaar, who will now function as the MTN Group chief strategy officer."
I am debunking your assertion that this is a way for companies to get competent people at the top while complying with BEE. A statement that is obviously wrong and screwed up in itself for the bits you imply.

Haldex

Expert Member
True. But you did understand what I was trying to say. In the SA context most Muslims are not "white" but a large portion are Afrikaans yes (in Cape Town at least). Understood.
Yes I understood. But you still dont get it.
Karl Pienaar could have been Muslim.
Majority of Muslims in SA according to race are Coloured and Indian not Other.

Your initial post should have read.

It is a way for companies to get competent people in at the top and meet BEE demands. The Government is powerless against this. They will not dare question the appointment of an Indian person in top positions and the company that appoints them know that they are not stuck with a comrade that meets the BEE targets but cannot deliver the goods.