MTN: Sending text messages overseas

Merlin

Expert Member
Hi all,

I've just tried to send a text message to an overseas buddy of mine.

My phone says it was sent successfully, but when I check my prepaid credit remaining, it hasn't dropped.

This isn't the first time I've had this, but up until now, I thought it was an error on the phone's part.

The MTN site says that prepaid customers can send overseas by default.

Has anyone else had this? If so, how did you fix it?

Thanks.

labratza

Expert Member
well is your buddy getting the message if he is getting the message what is there to fix?

Tim the Techxpert

Expert Member
Hi Merl.in,
Tim from MTN Business here.
You certainly have an interesting problem and we would like to investigate it further.

I will pm you for some additional information.

I apologise that the message did not get through and we would like to be able to resolve it as soon as possible

Warmest regards

Tim

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
Merlin....

Strange question, with a reason...

Is your buddy on prepaid?
&
Are you sending a pic?

I guess that's 2 :p

Merlin

Expert Member
Thank you, Tim. I have replied to your PM.

ChilliGirl,

I have no idea what plan his phone is on. He travels the globe frequently and is extremely difficult to get hold of, so I can't even promise a quick investigation on that question. :/

I have called his number from a landline before, on numerous occasions, with no problem.

Is there any discernible difference when attempting to SMS overseas whether or not you use a '+' or '00' as the prefix?

No pic', just text.

Merlin

Expert Member
This is to thank Tim from MTN, for trawling this thread, dealing with me personally & promptly and having an appropriate department at MTN call me to assist with my query, in lightning fast time.

That was an unexpected and very pleasant surprise. Thanks for the great service.

Nic

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
The reason I ask is that most UK network are blocking the sending of photos from SA to their prepaid lines.

This has been happening for more than a year, no matter which network here. Last year Sept my brother was here. During that time I tried sending his GF(in UK) a pic from here. She queried it. He later confirmed after returning.

From the responses they got I have a suspision that many of these lovely paid-for subscriptions that we have here, are subscribing people there. I believe they have to request if they wish to be able to receive pics from SA.

chrisc

Executive Member
My wife and daughter are both on MTN. She has been in South America for 3 months and is now in Cuba. All SMS back and forth have been delivered. My wife is on a contract and daughter on prepaid. Both have iPhone 4S phones

Merlin

Expert Member
Interesting info', ChilliGirl. Thanks. If that has reached that stage, I should think there is an effort on the go to sort it out.

Thanks Chris. The MTN assistant helped me out yesterday. :) The person I'm trying to reach is often traveling the globe and is very difficult to reach, so it may be a while before I can test out the comms with him again.

dorotheaperwas

I have the same problem with sending sms's overseas. My phone shows that the sms was delivered successfully, but the sender does not receive the sms. HOWEVER, in my case, I am charged for every sms that was delivered - regadless whether the receiver received it.

I am at my wit's end with this - please, please help. I have asked friends to sms to the same numbers from different service providers, and these messages go through without fail and are also received successfully.

Karendb

Hi Merl.in,
Tim from MTN Business here.
You certainly have an interesting problem and we would like to investigate it further.

I will pm you for some additional information.

I apologise that the message did not get through and we would like to be able to resolve it as soon as possible

Warmest regards

Tim
I have the same problem. I’m in the US and cannot send or receive sms