MTN Upgrade Eligibility Changed

wizardofid

Executive Member
Just a heads up guys, one of my contracts is due for upgrade (month 20) like it has been for ages, with the switch over to their "new" system it is now month 21. Apparently they are trying to fix it for old clients (march 20th month cleints) before the switch over.Which means you can't upgrade until they fix the problem.

No biggie, there was some thing that tickled my fancy, if the deal isn't there next month then screw it, the contract can expire, the deal is R80.00 odd cheaper then previous months.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Fing bastids, got this SMS as well short while ago.....Have around R261.00 of accumulated airtime

Changes to carry over rules for airtime

Billing will run in a 30-day cycle. This means that the airtime (rand value) of your plan will no longer be carried over to the next month. Any airtime you haven’t used in a 30-day period will expire. For example, if you receive your new airtime balance on the 1st of the month, it will expire on the last day of that month.

You can use your airtime to call your loved ones or convert it to data to browse the internet and stay connected for longer on South Africa’s best network.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Doesn't surprise me.
They move the goalposts all the time
Well screw it, It is Monday, I am in a pissy mood emailing the ceo and upper management.

Still have my handy email list.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Please let us know the response
Add the Ceo as cc to the email, and people still fall over one another to help.Got an email reply back will recieve a call tomorrow morning.
This is with regards to the upgrade goal posts shifting without any and all communication.

Then I will be deal with the issue of airtime expiring, ffs it is pre allocated airtime that you paid for. Was a three month rolling window, then they changed it to a 2 month rolling window, now 30 days.

Seems like you will be able to use the airtime to buy data, where previously top up contracts only allowed calls to be made and send sms's. If they allow the airtime to be used as you see fit, even transfer airtime to another number, it will be easy enough to temp transfer to another number and transfer back which should in theory extend the 30 day window.But doubtful, mtn are a bunch of greedy bastids, they will only allow the airtime to be used on that number.

Really shitty from MTN.

Mr Smooth

I think you could carry over airtime for 6 months a few years ago and then if you still had airtime left over from month 1 after the 6 months then only that will be forfeited.

Dan C

Honorary Master
I kept my contract for over 10 years before upgrading... Oh wait I just changed plans and didn't take a new phone.

wizardofid

Executive Member
I kept my contract for over 10 years before upgrading... Oh wait I just changed plans and didn't take a new phone.
Well mate pretty much planned out my contracts.Was originally going to get a modem with my upgrade but decided to get a B315 cash, cheap enough. Previously got a android tablet which was a crappy, so got a decent teclast tablet cash, as the offere MTN have are pretty crappy.

So I have a modem and a tablet and my phone is less then 13 months old, runs older android 7 but not bothered it just needs to make phone calls and job done, have a tablet for every thing else :).

So I have been considering getting one of the i5 or i3 laptops they currently have a deal on, which I have closely monitored and a R80+ plus saving this months over 36 months adds up quite a bit. Saves me R2880.00 over the term.

I basically have one contract to get devices and one contract which is data sim only. I my actual phone is prepaid.

Getting a device via mtn is actually a bit cheaper then getting it on credit as it works out about the same.The benefit being the extras, which makes it worthwile, compared to else where.

My data contract is due for upgrade in june, which I will have to do as it will revert to price without discount if I don't.Upgrade will actually be couple bucks cheaper and will get double the data, compared to what i am getting now.I could actually downgrade to the same data get now and save a R100.00 odd.

Yeah so planned, and budgeted my upgrades as well as kept an eye out on the yellow trader for past 3 months to monitor the deals and the deal I want is cheaper this months.

Sure I could get the device cash, but I dont currently have the R8500.00 lying around, Would take about 8 -9 months saving to ge the cash, in the mean time i have upgrade my development PC as well.Doing a upgrade get the device i want I am still able to save for the development pc, would take couple of months longer.So R80 saving a month is pretty huge, any one would be pissed off should they lose out on a deal because mtn changed the rules without notification.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Well mate pretty much planned out my contracts.Was originally going to get a modem with my upgrade but decided to get a B315 cash, cheap enough. Previously got a android tablet which was a crappy, so got a decent teclast tablet cash, as the offere MTN have are pretty crappy.

So I have a modem and a tablet and my phone is less then 13 months old, runs older android 7 but not bothered it just needs to make phone calls and job done, have a tablet for every thing else :).

So I have been considering getting one of the i5 or i3 laptops they currently have a deal on, which I have closely monitored and a R80+ plus saving this months over 36 months adds up quite a bit. Saves me R2880.00 over the term.

I basically have one contract to get devices and one contract which is data sim only. I my actual phone is prepaid.

Getting a device via mtn is actually a bit cheaper then getting it on credit as it works out about the same.The benefit being the extras, which makes it worthwile, compared to else where.

My data contract is due for upgrade in june, which I will have to do as it will revert to price without discount if I don't.Upgrade will actually be couple bucks cheaper and will get double the data, compared to what i am getting now.I could actually downgrade to the same data get now and save a R100.00 odd.

Yeah so planned, and budgeted my upgrades as well as kept an eye out on the yellow trader for past 3 months to monitor the deals and the deal I want is cheaper this months.

Sure I could get the device cash, but I dont currently have the R8500.00 lying around, Would take about 8 -9 months saving to ge the cash, in the mean time i have upgrade my development PC as well.Doing a upgrade get the device i want I am still able to save for the development pc, would take couple of months longer.So R80 saving a month is pretty huge, any one would be pissed off should they lose out on a deal because mtn changed the rules without notification.
Makes sense. My Teclast tablet was stolen and waiting for a new one. Seems Gearbest is at a standstill. I hardly ever use airtime, so not too fussed about anything more than my R79 contract.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Makes sense. My Teclast tablet was stolen and waiting for a new one. Seems Gearbest is at a standstill. I hardly ever use airtime, so not too fussed about anything more than my R79 contract.
Yeah but the way mtn has been acting lately, not worth the effort.Really shitty tactics and changes.Will see what they say tomorrow, might just let is expire and get a better data package in june.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Yeah useless fckers. Phoned me this morning, we will update you right throughout the day.......surprise, surprise that didn't happen.

Going to wait till they "fix" the problem, which is going to take a few days by the looks of things, if they do, just going to politely say, thanks, but no thanks, I will upgrade when I am ready and feel like it.......

wizardofid

Executive Member
Update

If you planning on doing a upgrade, don't bother, MTN upgrade services is a complete and utter F&^%&^ up right now due to upgrading of their system.

wizardofid

Executive Member
8 days later and still sweet f all.Useless mothertruckers phoned them yesterday, asked to cancel, sorry, we cant cancel due to you being migrated to the new system our engineers need to assist and might take a few days.Holy shyte.

Mtn entirely messed up their new system, I fore see a bucket load of people are going to get wrong bills and data months end.

wizardofid

Executive Member
12 days and counting, told the manager to go ahead and cancel the order if it isnt done by 5pm.After spending 45 minutes on the phone apprently it has been stuck at shipping department for 3 days.I suspect they have no stock after the order was done last week stock was cofirmed and reserved.

Will just wait out the 3 months and cancel.Only issue is my data contract which i actually need is also due for upgrade in 3 months. Going to be fun fun fun, getting that sorted.If i dont upgrade it will revert to normal pricing which R600 odd more......fml

wizardofid

Executive Member
Order arrived today, however they have yet to sort out the billing and allocate the promotional data, which is going to take another couple of days.

The laptop is okay decided on going with the cheapest offer, as I want to increase my data upgrade in 3 months time to some thing a little better then the current 50gigs I am getting. Without the amount of uploads lately.

Went with the lenovo ideas slimpad AMD A4 with R3 graphics APU, has 4gig ram DDR4 , the downside is the 64gig EMMC HDD. Which isn't terrible, but will expand with 64gig mirco SD for now once the corona crap is over will get a 256gig from gearbest. Takealot wants some thing like R1599.00 for a 256gig SD card. $34 on gearbest.

While it is definitely not by any means the greatest laptop, with the recent spade of loading shedding and lack of power due to infrastructure completely falling apart here, I can continue with 3D modeling ect without issue, business emails documents, ect. Decent backup when in a short term pinch, the added benefit is having a normal HDMI port.

The ZTE MF927U modem is pretty sweet as well, provides at least 6 hours use, and 200 hours standby, will come in handy with the loading shedding as I don't have a battery back for my B315.

One year AVAST license is nice and the open office suite license.

I am not sure however if I want to keep windows 10 on it, the same laptop has a chrome variation,will have to do some research. Windows 10 really isn't suite for 64gig EMMC, might load linux, but poses a problem with regards to modeling software. I have been meaning to get around to using blender for awhile now....So would be good excuses as any to start that.

Just not sure which linux distro I should look at getting, especially with the 64gig space limitation......

wizardofid

Executive Member
Useless, useless mofos. Still haven't received my allocated data, 23 days and counting..

wizardofid

Executive Member
Doesn't this go against ICASA rules?
No idea, but new airtime got allocated last night and the old airtime fell away :(. I need to check but I think you can now use allocated airtime to buy data/sms/social bundles it isn't restricted to just phoning any more, So sort of understand why the airtime only has a 30 day window.

Also the ICASA rules was more about DATA they sort of glazed over airtime expiry windows, MTN found a loophole.As prepaid airtime still have the same expiry windows as before.

In other news emailed the CEO at 5pm last night, by 12Pm today my promotional data was allocated. True to form they managed to Fup the billing....