Muggers Demand iPhone, Turn Down Android

undesign

Executive Member
http://techland.time.com/2011/12/15/muggers-demand-iphone-turn-down-android/

Here’s some unconventional market research. According to NBC New York, a pair of robbers stopped three different people recently, each near Columbia University in Manhattan. In each instance they demanded that the person hand over an iPhone.

The first unlucky victim was forced to hand over an iPhone. The second victim didn’t have one and offered an Android phone, which, apparently, was not worth the criminals’ time. They turned down the phone and demanded cash.

The third victim also denied having an iPhone, prompting the robbers to throw her against a fence and search her.

So, there you go, people deciding between an Android phone and an iPhone: Either you can be so cool that your phone is the only one desperate criminals on the street will accept, or you can be lame and avoid being mugged.

I kid, I kid. The problem, of course, isn’t fashion-conscious robbers, but the insanely high resale value of iPhones. Looking for a 16GB iPhone 4S? You can find them on eBay with prices hovering around $500. That’s quite a haul if you can round up enough of them.

To be fair, some of the newer, high-end Android phones also have high resale values, but you can hardly expect robbers to read tech blogs all day just so they can yell “Give me your iPhone or Samsung Galaxy Nexus or, you know, maybe even a Droid RAZR, or wait, is that new Windows Phone out yet, you know, the Lumia? No, I don’t want your BlackBerry!”

Even criminals have good taste... :D

RandomGRK

Expert Member
Its true. On my latest upgrade, I asked for the iPhone 4 just so i could sell it easily. I'm an android user but people are prepared to pay for Apple products.

FNfal

Executive Member
You are posting this here to show what type of person likes an Iphone ??? :whistling:

vinodh

Expert Member
If you have a Blackberry, the mugger will probably give you another phone out of pity.

hawker

Honorary Master
Well seems like a common denominator between iPhone users and thieves exists...now what is it?

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Lol they have good taste but jacking an iPhone isn't the greatest idea ever if it's locked with a code.

I had some fun a while back when someone took mine as a joke, spent most of the afternoon sharing facts about his mother as "important messages" while tracking him. If the day were to come where I'd be hi jacked or held hostage again I'd gladly offer them my iPhone 4, hell I'll throw in my iPad as a gesture of good will...