MultiChoice says Vidi will suffer

"Build it and they will come"

I know a few people who stopped their DSTV sub and switched over to Netflix. they also had no internet before. So it can also become a reason to adopt broadband.....

Vidi costs are vastly lower than Monochoice, they don't have to invest satellite infrastructure, product development for decoders, infrastructure for mobile TV just to name a few

well the internet is a global market Monochoice, R149 IS PEANUTS to any other country,

well the internet is a global market Monochoice, R149 IS PEANUTS to any other country,

Why would anyone in another country buy a Vidi subscription? Vidi can't offer anything DSTV has exclusive rights to (which is a lot of popular stuff) and is about the same price as Netflix.

Why would anyone in another country buy a Vidi subscription? Vidi can't offer anything DSTV has exclusive rights to (which is a lot of popular stuff) and is about the same price as Netflix.

I assume you're talking about sport - Vidi has actually flat-out said that Multichoice don't have any kind of exclusivity on streaming VOD of series/movies. It's really just the cost barrier that keeps Vidi offering most the content DSTV does.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/inter...t-blocking-netflix-video-streaming-in-sa.html

Last edited:
To launch an SVOD (subscription video on demand) product like that, a Netflix clone, over-the-top, you need to be on a myriad of devices, you’ve got to be on pretty much every smart TV platform, every device, so that you can get distribution

We don't like Multichoice, but they aren't wrong here. Netflix wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is now if it were only available on the platforms that Vidi is.

Well, they are correct, as much as i hate them fckers.

Vidi is going to suffer due to a small market and unreliable,expensive internet access and data. Someone suggested that because of Vidi some will even take up adsl, that's bollocks. Then your expenses are virtually the same as a dstv premuim sub, with less content and sport.

As for Node, now that's a big fail. There's so much wrong with this.
1 Their price point and features suggest its a high end product, a market that can afford dstv, already have broadband and therefor most likely saw their content.
2 Automation/voip/payment crap and VOD combined is a joke. People looking at VOD is after content,vod is just the delivery system.Why would i pay for a R3500 product with a lot of kark if only what i'm looking for is content. Anyways, if you really after the other feautures, you can build a better all in one automation box with most of the node's feautures with free software and an old pc, i even wonder if the node don't run a custom version of something like LinuxMCE.
3 Their ads (printed ones i saw) are fcking horrible. Geezuz,who's doing such a poor job.No call to action, one would think a new service would do that, no clear outline of benefits, no mention of VOD. They just tell you this box can order pizza. Big fcken deal, i already have such a box, my frikken phone.

I've cancelled Vidi already.

No Android app anymore and their website does not work properly on any mobile browser :( Maybe I will make another plan with my PC @ TV or something but for now it isn't convenient.

I will never choose DSTV though. Just sticking to torrents. As much as I'd like to go legit I also don't have time and money to waste.

Me too. I wasn't going to subscribe long-term, but did the 1 month trial, and then they debited my credit card without warning - yes, they're within their rights to do so, but normally sites send a reminder a few days before to remind you your trial is coming to an end and they're about to take your money.

Left a bad taste in my mouth about them. Pity. It's the small things that count.

No Android app anymore and their website does not work properly on any mobile browser :( Maybe I will make another plan with my PC @ TV or something but for now it isn't convenient.

I will never choose DSTV though. Just sticking to torrents. As much as I'd like to go legit I also don't have time and money to waste.

Before I got Netflix, I used to have TopTV to keep conscience clear while downloading torrents every now and again.

Now I have Vidi. Mostly just to support the SA VOD industry. Not really right that I have Netflix but don't support a legit method in the country I am in.

Before I got Netflix, I used to have TopTV to keep conscience clear while downloading torrents every now and again.

Now I have Vidi. Mostly just to support the SA VOD industry. Not really right that I have Netflix but don't support a legit method in the country I am in.

To keep my conscience clear I bought all the Big Bang Theory DVD's. But the hassle when waiting for a release at Look&Listen that takes weeks when the shop next door is selling it for over 200 bucks. :/

I'm not trying to be stubborn though. As soon as Vidi sorts out those issues and also gives freedom of streaming quality choice, which should be a no brainer in SA, then I will sign up again.

As it is at the moment, their dysfunctional interface, atrocious Android wrapper app and measly selection of titles will probably ensure that they never have scale.

Back