Music cassette tapes are making a comeback

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I'd buy CD and vinyl before a cassette. Where the hell can you still buy a cassette? :erm:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It is assumed that nostalgia is behind most of this growth, as music cassette tapes are clunky and have lower sound quality than other options.

You don't say!
Hipsters screwing around again.

MickZA

Executive Member
There were 11,489 cassettes purchased during the 2016 holidays in the United States – an increase of 140% over 2015.

It is assumed that nostalgia is behind most of this growth, as music cassette tapes are clunky and have lower sound quality than other options.
Wouldn't call 11.5K units a comeback - probably purchased for use in old cars with built in players.

Also "have lower sound quality than other options" is a total understatement!!

Stickfigure

Executive Member
I still buy CD's from time to time (even though I already have all of the songs on my PC.) I don't know, there's just something about a physical CD that entices me.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Also claiming "Cassette tapes are making a comeback" is pure and unadulterated nonsense.

There were 11,489 cassettes purchased during the 2016 holidays in the United States – an increase of 140% over 2015.

Vinyl sold nearly 2m in the same period.

Streaming accounts for 34.3billion streams in the same period.

garyc

Expert Member
I'd buy CD and vinyl before a cassette. Where the hell can you still buy a cassette? :erm:

People are selling them on eBay. A high quality cassette that is still sealed can go for a fortune. This more about equipment enthusiasts than the music itself. Reel-to-reel tape is also still a thing on eBay.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
People are selling them on eBay. A high quality cassette that is still sealed can go for a fortune. This more about equipment enthusiasts than the music itself. Reel-to-reel tape is also still a thing on eBay.

All about the nostalgia :D I found a cassette tape I made in 1992, but have nothing to play it on. Even the few cassette players in my friends' cars who still have them in, don't work anymore :crylaugh:

Djin

I know, I'm 37 :crylaugh:

Ah yes, I remember the days when I used to record directly from the radio and make my own mixed tape. I used to hover over the radio to hit stop, just in case the DJ started speaking and fuxxed the whole thing up.

Ah yes, the youth of today will never know the struggle.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Ah yes, I remember the days when I used to record directly from the radio and make my own mixed tape. I used to hover over the radio to hit stop, just in case the DJ started speaking and fuxxed the whole thing up.

Ah yes, the youth of today will never know the struggle.

Yep, the Hi 5 at 5 used to be awesome, and Barney Simon. :D