Music genres when coding

noob_saibot

Just thought I'd ask other devs out there...

Which music genres do you prefer (if at all) when punching out code?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Sometimes classical but mostly I'd put on an Armin van Buuren A State of Trance episode and let that play

agentrfr

Expert Member
When doing something complicated like 10th order PDEs or non-ordinary eqn solving algorithms it has to be quiet. If doing something average, metal. If doing something tedious, I actually tend to put a VOD of starcraft or dota 2 on in the background... oddly relaxing.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
When I do want "silence" I put on this 20min sound clip of ocean waves + seagulls etc. blocks out the office noises - very relaxing if the volume isn't too high. You can rip it from youtube.

Problem is that I don't normally get uninterrupted time to listen and code. There is always somebody asking questions or some crisis somewhere or SOMETHING that will distract me :/

DominionZA

Executive Member
Just thought I'd ask other devs out there...

Which music genres do you prefer (if at all) when punching out code?

Dead can dance. Awesome!

Otherwise I like to have TV shows running on the side (stuff I don't follow too closely). Particularly nice when I have some long operation running consuming my PC resources and have to sit back and wait.

S1ght

Expert Member
Depends on my mood or the complexity of the code :) Mostly either indie, classical or sometimes some rock.

ld13

Honorary Master
Non-vocal trance. An ASOT episode tends to fit the bill.

froot

Honorary Master
Problem is that I don't normally get uninterrupted time to listen and code. There is always somebody asking questions or some crisis somewhere or SOMETHING that will distract me :/

Same problem. Perhaps I should go sit with the other developers instead of around the consultants. It's eerily quiet down there.

I think my boss might just kill me if I try that.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Dead can dance. Awesome!

Otherwise I like to have TV shows running on the side (stuff I don't follow too closely). Particularly nice when I have some long operation running consuming my PC resources and have to sit back and wait.

Yes - on the Dead Can Dance, anyway. Brendan Perry is also good.

But the best seems to be Chick Corea's "Mad Hatter" for me, for some reason.

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
Yeah

Trance/Prog House/Liquid DnB/IDM

Can't listen to Dubstep or Nurofunk as its too hard and breaks concentration. Another good thing to try is video game music, those songs are designed to interact least with your chain of thought, something like the Devil May Cry OST that Noisia produced, now that is music that is ignorable.

grok

Honorary Master
Mostly non-vocal stuff like psytrance or lounge music like the Buddha Bar/Cafe del Mar collection.

Sometimes when my thoughts are turbulent I play just one song on repeat for hours, irrespective of genre.

As for gaming music I recently discovered the soundtrack of Anno 2770, I admit some parts do get tedious but man, pretty haunting stuff!

noob_saibot

Interesting choices.

It seems to focus mostly around electronic-genre music of some sort.

ASOT seems to be a bit distracting to me (the perpetual "build-up" around each track that leads to a "kick").

like the Buddha Bar/Cafe del Mar collection.

This is an interesting choice. Has it ever made you fade into a dreamy world at any point?

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Does study music count ?

I listen to old school Hindi and classical stuff. Very chilled, and I don't understand the words so its not distracting.

Also, if you're looking for stuff you should check out http://8tracks.com/explore

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Interesting choices.

It seems to focus mostly around electronic-genre music of some sort.

ASOT seems to be a bit distracting to me (the perpetual "build-up" around each track that leads to a "kick").

This is an interesting choice. Has it ever made you fade into a dreamy world at any point?

Dude when that "kick" comes I turn my keyboard sideways like I'm the one on the decks!

sp4ceman

i need something with vocals that's chilled. i built a custom playlist with stuff like chvrches, naked and famous, ellie goulding, marina and the diamonds, yeah yeah yeahs. but only their more chilled songs