MWEB peering changes begin - fallout imminent

roguemat

Expert Member
I was using hidemyass.com which is a descent proxy. But it seems that access to MTN's network is up again. I can access MyADSL and my hetzner dedicated box.

Dames

So does that mean that the peering has been restored again or is it just routing properly through the international links now?

The_Pumpkin_King

Jedi Master
From MWEBs facebook status 10min ago

Any customers experiencing difficulty linking between MWEB & MTN, please note that this is a temporary break (60-90mins) in communication as we complete the routing on our side. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers and we will feedback as the process develops. Please bare with us until the transit changes are complete.
Thanks for your support and understanding.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
I lost connectivity to my webshop and mail on my hosted server at Hetzner and couldn't surf mybroadband.co.za either. So much for the international routing.

Sadly I'll have to say goodbye to my mweb uncapped account and will be finding another option. (I'm using my webafrica prepaid account right now, to make things work).

Sheesh. This is like visiting the Sandton Maternity Clinic during bath time. So many babies crying all at once...

TommyAtkins

Although I commend MWEB for this move (even if it is mostly in self interest) I've got to say it's seriously impacting my work as accessing our SVN servers on the "other" network is almost impossible. Wish they had scheduled the switch-over for the weekend.

bekdik

Honorary Master
From MWEBs facebook status 10min ago

Any customers experiencing difficulty linking between MWEB & MTN, please note that this is a temporary break (60-90mins) in communication as we complete the routing on our side. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to our customers and we will feedback as the process develops. Please bare with us until the transit changes are complete.
Thanks for your support and understanding.

I don't see how removing my clothes will affect Internet access :)

Last edited:

Creag

The Boar's Rock
As of today the South African internet is officially split in 2. The 2 will talk only over international links.

On the one side you have the forward thinking, aggressive,free and open peering guys and on the other side the dirty, money grubbing, backwards thinking, scum of the South African ISP community that have made local hosting bloody expensive.

Anybody wanna take bets on who this forums members are going to overwhelmingly support?

I will happily swap a couple of months of higher latency for lower hosting prices and more local content.

No brainer really. Got to give to MWEB for pushing the boundaries once again ;)

antowan

Honorary Master
COME ON Vodacom, MTN and Telkom!!!! JOIN THE PARTY!!!! COME ON!!!!!!

Dames

my latency to mtn is still around 40ms from my Mweb uncapped... Am I being dumb?

Pinging www.mtn.co.za [196.11.240.17] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 196.11.240.17: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=47
Reply from 196.11.240.17: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 196.11.240.17:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 34ms, Average = 33ms

Last edited:

Tick

I lost connectivity to my webshop and mail on my hosted server at Hetzner and couldn't surf mybroadband.co.za either. So much for the international routing.

Sadly I'll have to say goodbye to my mweb uncapped account and will be finding another option. (I'm using my webafrica prepaid account right now, to make things work).

Because it went down for a few hours one afternoon? Holy cow, talk about a touchy customer --- in related news, my car broke down and even though it was a simple fix I had to sadly say goodbye to the whole car so I can buy a new one that never breaks down. Also I had one small fight with my wife so I had to divorce her, I got a few hours of unpleasant work at my job so I had to quit, and because of an afternoon of bad weather I moved to a different city.

Kwerty

Expert Member
Company Rep
The temporary connection loss between MWEB & MTN has been resolved!
*HIGH FIVES ALL ROUND*
3 minutes ago

On FB

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
my latency to mtn is still around 40ms from my Mweb uncapped... Am I being dumb?

No. MTN's own websites are routing via JINX. It seems MTN don't expect people to pay to visit their own websites, it is just their hosting clients' local customers who must pay.

Dames

No. MTN's own websites are routing via JINX. It seems MTN don't expect people to pay to visit their own websites, it is just their hosting clients' local customers who must pay.

oooh I see ok. That's so sly!! MWEB FTW!

bekdik

Honorary Master
All of a sudden the domains I have with MTN (via Hetzner) disappeared yet international and MWeb were fine.

I need to work so I have cut over to our backup ISP (WebAfrica) and I am back up and running. Great ping times everywhere

Got a notification from Hetzner
Mweb customers: Access to Hetzner services (Mweb subscribers)

Type:Mweb customers: Access to Hetzner services
Start Date:2010-10-28 15:02:40 SAST
Resolved Date:TBA
Point of impact:Mweb subscribers
Symptoms experienced:Customers making use of Mweb as their Internet Service Provider may have difficulty reaching our services.
Cause of problem:TBA
Estimated time of repair:TBA
Additional information:Hetzner Engineers are investigating.
Attending:Hetzner Engineers

Outage Num:8986
MWEB ADSL outage affecting all regions
Please note we are aware that all members may have issues accessing certain Local websites. Our engineers are attending to the matter urgently and should be resolved shortly
Start Date:2010-10-28 15:20:30
End Date:

bekdik

Honorary Master
Because it went down for a few hours one afternoon? Holy cow, talk about a touchy customer --- in related news, my car broke down and even though it was a simple fix I had to sadly say goodbye to the whole car so I can buy a new one that never breaks down. Also I had one small fight with my wife so I had to divorce her, I got a few hours of unpleasant work at my job so I had to quit, and because of an afternoon of bad weather I moved to a different city.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I stubbed my toe so I committed suicide.

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
All of a sudden the domains I have with MTN (via Hetzner) disappeared yet international and MWeb were fine.

I need to work so I have cut over to our backup ISP (WebAfrica) and I am back up and running. Great ping times everywhere

I am back up on MWeb
Ping times 370-400ms

User experience neither bad nor good