Mweb web hosting tutorial

plzma

Howsit guys, I need help.

I have just signed up for a web hosting with MWEB but have no idea how to start or where to even begin. I am wanting to upload a joomla template etc. How do i do this?

guest2013-1

Why did you sign up if you have no idea?

MWEB should give you some sort of CPanel right? Just install Joomla through there, otherwise ASK MWEB? They're doing the hosting, why can't they do the support as well?

skollas123

Ye they should have an auto installer for apps like Joomla, Wordpress, Drupal, etc. Most hosts use Softaculous. If they don't have an apps installer, I'd suggest looking for a new host.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I used a their R19 p/m uncapped hosting a while back and there was no Cpanel or anything like that. Had to upload Joomla via FTP. You do get PHPMyAdmin for your database but if your user experience is like mine, it took a couple of attempts to get the correct address and login details from them.

guest2013-1

If that's the case, please share the MySQL details for this poor sucker and to the OP, google "How to install Joomla" ?

Priapus

Executive Member
I used a their R19 p/m uncapped hosting a while back and there was no Cpanel or anything like that. Had to upload Joomla via FTP. You do get PHPMyAdmin for your database but if your user experience is like mine, it took a couple of attempts to get the correct address and login details from them.

I've got the uncapped hosting. It's now 29/pm. However, there is definitely a cPanel and info on there on how to setup a MySQL DB along with PHP / Wordpress etc.

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
I've got the uncapped hosting. It's now 29/pm. However, there is definitely a cPanel and info on there on how to setup a MySQL DB along with PHP / Wordpress etc.

Sounds like they have changed it then since we moved.

DawieBotes

Hi there plzma,

I've recently also opened 2 of their Uncapped accounts. One was just before they added Cpanel and the other one after. If you've got the Cpanel one, the easiest way it to download the latest Joomla zip, go into Cpanel --> File Manager. Upload the zip file into your root (or folder if you don't want it in the root), then right-click and extract. Then from a browser window (New one preferably, because you want to come back to Cpanel). Access your domain / IP eg. www.yourdomain.co.za/installation.php (or something similar). The Joomla installation wizard will start and take you through the rest.

You might need to come back into Cpanel and open a MySQL DB if there ain't one yet.

Dawie

plzma

Dawie thanks for the help, i do need more help however because joomla wont install unless Magic Quotes GPC is off, how do i turn it off?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Speak to MWeb support in the first instance.

You may be able to disable it for your site with a custom php.ini file.

Otherwise, I think your options would be a different host or using Joomla 2.5 or earlier.

YodaNell

Remark from 'Coco"!

Why did you sign up if you have no idea?

MWEB should give you some sort of CPanel right? Just install Joomla through there, otherwise ASK MWEB? They're doing the hosting, why can't they do the support as well?

KEEP YOU SNOTTY REMARK FOR YOURSELF...WILL YOU!!! NOT everyone understands IT!