My Generator Study

Trust|Nobody

PNG.png

So I finished my generator study.
The Ryobi's are arranged in increasing total cost (equipment cost + running cost), as well as the Honda's.
It seems the Ryobi RG-2250i is the best option for me for a 2 kW load.

The Honda EU30is seems the most efficient at 5.42 R/kWh, but it costs R29k making the total cost R36800 (including operation costs).

Any comments?

Speedster

Honorary Master
View attachment 635994

The Ryobi's are arranged in increasing total cost (equipment cost + running cost), as well as the Honda's.

The Honda EU30is seems the most efficient at 5.42 R/kWh, but it costs R29k making the total cost R36800 (including operation costs).

Any comments?
Looks like you did some decent homework. Unfortunately that png you uploaded is not readable

RedViking

Nord of the South
View attachment 635994

Any comments?
Where can I buy one? How much?

Trust|Nobody

Trust|Nobody

The other cool thing is that Ryobi offers a 2 year guarantee according to their pamphlet.
I'll want to confirm this in-store.

PNG 2.png

gimpex

Related question . If I get a 5kw generator using 2,2l of fuel per hour at full load , and if I’m using only 1kw , will fuel consumption be closer to 20% or something like 80% of maximum ?

Genisys

Honorary Master
Going by the maintenance intervals on that Ryobi it seems you'll have to change oil every two and a half days if you stay in Joburg, which will eventually get annoying. Another thing to consider is that you'll likely also need a UPS still (read the pamphlet) so that will also add to your TCO. Looking at it objectively the break even point of this unit isn't as attractive as you make it out to be, especially considering 2000w isn't that much power, and you are not including the price of the AVR/UPS to your TCO. Also keep in mind that fuel prices is going up by about R1 next month. ]

Going by your first post anyway it seems logical to go for the RG-7000K rather than a smaller unit despite the higher initial investment, thus the TCO makes more sense on bigger units.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Related question . If I get a 5kw generator using 2,2l of fuel per hour at full load , and if I’m using only 1kw , will fuel consumption be closer to 20% or something like 80% of maximum ?
No

You will use closer to 70% from my experience.

After 7.5hrs of use this week, I've used around 12L and this with mixed loads from 1000w to 4000w. Hard to give an exact usage as this was bought for a home based business, hair salon, so hard to measure usage.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Do you guys run your generators at night?
My neighbour has a geny and that thing is loud AF.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
The other cool thing is that Ryobi offers a 2-year guarantee according to their pamphlet.
I'll want to confirm this in-store.

View attachment 636060
Screw the warranty, full of T&Cs.

Just buy whatever the hell you can get right now and move on. There is panic buying.

My local Builders sold all their stock over the weekend, and it was a lot of stock.

In the time it took me to go fetch my other car, 30 minutes, to transport my 5kva one on Saturday during load shedding with less than a dozen customers in the store they sold three, everything gone by Monday morning.

If you decide you bought crap, get a new one and flog off the old one. You will still get your money back.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
This what welcomed the procrastinators Monday. There were five more floor models, and twenty units in boxes. Another two dozen in their warehouse.

This is how bad it's gotten and I'm a very optimistic person and bought because I saw the panic storm on the horizon.

Also please remember to get quality 16A leads, an earth spike, fire extinguisher and quality Jerry can.

I put down some 17A wire with dedicated plug points through my roof into the lounge and business. Found plug switches with lights to indicate there is power for R75 each. Safety first.

Attachments

Trust|Nobody

Another thing to consider is that you'll likely also need a UPS still (read the pamphlet) so that will also add to your TCO. Looking at it objectively the break even point of this unit isn't as attractive as you make it out to be, especially considering 2000w isn't that much power, and you are not including the price of the AVR/UPS to your TCO.
The RG-2250i is an inverter generator, from what I understand these generators don't need AVR or UPS.
The pamphlet does state:
"It is highly recommended to use a Ryobi Generator with an Automated Voltage Regulator (AVR) or an Un-interuptable Power Supply (UPS) when using sensitive electronic equipment. If these items are used on a regular generator, and they are damaged by a power surge, the manufacturer/supplier cannot be held liable."

Also keep in mind that fuel prices is going up by about R1 next month. ]
Yes, but this will increase the costs of all the generators. Their relative positions will remain the same.

Going by your first post anyway it seems logical to go for the RG-7000K rather than a smaller unit despite the higher initial investment, thus the TCO makes more sense on bigger units.
2 kW is enough to power my fridge, tv, pc, wifi router and lights, that's all I need. The RG-2250i is an inverter so it won't be as noisy as the RG-2700.

Trust|Nobody

I have no idea.
But I would guess closer to 20% of maximum.

Trust|Nobody

No

You will use closer to 70% from my experience.

After 7.5hrs of use this week, I've used around 12L and this with mixed loads from 1000w to 4000w. Hard to give an exact usage as this was bought for a home based business, hair salon, so hard to measure usage.
What make and model is this?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Do you guys run your generators at night?
My neighbour has a geny and that thing is loud AF.
Mine's pretty noisy so I only run it up until about 9-10pm, then I switch it off.

Unless it's really windy.

EDIT: Tomorrow/Saturday/Sunday we're scheduled for 02:00-06:30, 10:00-14:30, and 18:00-22:30 so I'll probably run mine for 8-9 hours per day... again.