MyADSL Recent Meetings: Some Feedback

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
66,806
Reaction score
5,057
Location
Johannesburg
Hi folks

Just a short post to keep you informed about MyADSL’s recent meetings.

I have just met with two very pleasant guys from IS (names withheld since I am not certain whether they would like to be mentioned). They have developed a few interesting ADSL offerings and as soon as I receive the details I will post it here. This should be the start of more open communications between MyADSL and IS. As a significant player in the ADSL arena a good relationship between MyADSL and IS will certainly be mutually beneficial.

I have also spoken to Alan & Paul from ISOC-ZA at iWeek and we hope to support each other in the fight to reduce Internet costs. ISOC-ZA has been pushing the issue of lower connectivity costs for a few years now and we will certainly support them where possible.

I have also met with the CoJ regarding their broadband initiative, and will keep you informed about any exciting developments. They are also interested in forming a working relationship with MyADSL as they are well aware of the tremendous amount of knowledge and experience from our members that can drive their initiative further. It will be great if we can help the City to make a success of this initiative.

For those of you that do not know we have a meeting scheduled with Telkom’s new CEO in October…should be interesting!

Your feedback is most welcome as usual.

Regards,

RPM
 
Last edited:
Are you able to give any tentative details/snippets/dribblets on the IS offerings? Even just a hint? :)

We look forward to the meeting with trepidation. You better take protection rpm :D I reckon telkom's going to try do you in.
 
RPM: Please convice Telkom that their per Gb billing from 1ste Nov is crap - they should abandon it immediately!!!
 
Hi AntiThesis

I do not have all the details, but apart from their Uncapped Business Services they also have capped services (2, 3, 5, 10G I think). These services are capped Internationally, but allow for 30 G local traffic. I will bring you more when I receive all the details.

Kalvaer: I am so far behind at work that it is actually becoming embarrassing :( But we all know MyADSL is more fun than actual work :D

Regards,

RPM
 
Ta rpm :)

AAAH is that why my posts today is more than my lines of code written? :D

It sounds good (the IS stuff) look forward to hearing more.

Looks around... Anyone want a website made? :D
 
Yes it seems as not even the mighty ICASA can save us coming November the only sane route to take will be IS. I like the idea of the capped offerings with 30gig of local bandwidth thrown in.
 
yeah i know IS is working on this due to contact with director of IS.

So i second that RPM IS is going to be implementing somthing soon.


Wonder where things will turn out
 
How about asking IS to pull something off for the gamers?

Can they allow say 1Gb of uninterrupted usage on the gaming Ports a month?
Or can they perminently remove the Gaming Ports from shaping?

The thing is that Gaming ain't downloading it's very reliant on time. And it ain't that much data. 500Mb a month is what I use. Nowhere the 4Gbs that Tele-F-up expect me to pay for.
 
Well IS saying their offerings is a start but there are a few issues that even currently need to be addressed.

1) IS performance has not been the greatest this month, there have been major international speed problems (I am currently having one), periods when log-on hasnt been possible etc...

Now with IS having these offerings I am sure there would be a great deal more customers and I am wondering how the network is going to handle this, last month everything was perfect, this month has been shoddy. I hope IS stabilises before the masses start leaving SAIX. I personally would like to know the reasons for the problems that have been occuring recently

2) When IS works smoothly, when capped international browsing has been possible, obviously not as good as uncapped but looking up information has still been possible.

In November are we going to be looking at hard cap or throttle ?

3) Affordability

If a 3 gig account with IS and uncapped local is R250-R300 now, it makes me wonder what the larger caps will cost. Its great having the options, but they offer uncapped business adsl and its about R1500 a month.
...............

Granted IS is going to be the ISP of choice when it comes to ammount of bandwidth provided and I have been happier with them than with saix (except for this month since my saix yet to cap acc is performing far far far better than my IS one this month)

One change I would really like to since, since Daaru mentioned gaming is a acctual generosity for them, online gaming is becoming more and more popular with them springing up all over the place for PC and console alike. Some games do not take up much bandwidth at all and it would be a shame for a person to have to purchase an account purely for a game. I will use say, guildwars for a international example, after 2 hours of play I had used 3 megabytes, the game itself was optimised for 56k but having say 80kbit/s for it would be fine. I dont really play anything else seriously online but I take that as an example.

I am more the power user (I dont believe in broadband that the term "abuser" should exist) than the gamer so basically november unaffects some, discomfort's other and royally screws the local gamers and power users.

One sad fact remains, telkom has crippled us so much that options such as these are seen as good and given our situation IS is providing the best possible option. I wonder how long till our shackles are removed and TRUE broadband becomes a reality.
 
Are IS going to start offering internet with their ADSL offering? Because a PPP termination with an IP address isn't proving usefull when there is nothing to connect to.
 
Karnaugh, I got a couple of those on monday I think it was, without internet for about a hour.
 
Lets all JOIN in

RPM Please advise the date. For support I think the CEO would be rather Befused if a great persentage of the 6000 members show up for the meeting. Wonder if they have a meeting room to size......Just give date , time and address.....Would be front line news if we all do show up do. Hehe :D
 
As far as I am aware IS moved all their international traffic to their satelite network couple of months back which spells disaster for gamers :(
 
I dont understand....why would IS be planning on capping local traffic....it makes no sense...
 
its not up to IS on capping local, all adsl traffic has to go thru saix first, then to the peering link.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X