Nearby Share

phly

Expert Member
Is this available for anyone? i spotted it on an old tablet and yet my daily driver and phone does not have it. Granted its not available fr everyone but i was curious if it is showing on anyone's phone yet and have they tested it out?

Link for context to those in the dark

isie

Honorary Master
Is this available for anyone? i spotted it on an old tablet and yet my daily driver and phone does not have it. Granted its not available fr everyone but i was curious if it is showing on anyone's phone yet and have they tested it out?

currently only available to certain users who joined the beta program for Google play services.

phly

Expert Member
currently only available to certain users who joined the beta program for Google play services.
I am not on beta on the tablet and its present. Infact the tablet is running marshamallow - Android 6.0.

isie

Honorary Master
I am not on beta on the tablet and its present. Infact the tablet is running marshamallow - Android 6.0.
not beta on the OS , play services is an app in the store* though being beta doesn't necessarily mean you will get it (server side update), once live for everyone it will be pushed to android 6 up.
check this link on the tablet see if it looks like this, unless they have actually started pushing it to live an your tablet is one of the few higher up on the server.
1596396677419.png

phly

Expert Member
not beta on the OS , play services is an app in the store* though being beta doesn't necessarily mean you will get it (server side update), once live for everyone it will be pushed to android 6 up.
check this link on the tablet see if it looks like this, unless they have actually started pushing it to live an your tablet is one of the few higher up on the server.
View attachment 885780

Hmm... I knew about this and even signed up to be a beta tester for google play services but never got the feature on my phone. Xiaomi phones have a nearby share feature but it's not the one Google is rolling out. So I gave up on it.

Then recently I set up an old tablet and to my surprise I have the feature in the share sheet. Since both tablet are running the same google account I am on beta on both. What I noticed today is that the tablet is on a newer version of the beta whilst the phone is not. Maybe thats why ... :unsure:

isie

Honorary Master
Hmm... I knew about this and even signed up to be a beta tester for google play services but never got the feature on my phone. Xiaomi phones have a nearby share feature but it's not the one Google is rolling out. So I gave up on it.

Then recently I set up an old tablet and to my surprise I have the feature in the share sheet. Since both tablet are running the same google account I am on beta on both. What I noticed today is that the tablet is on a newer version of the beta whilst the phone is not. Maybe thats why ... :unsure:
yep same im on beta but dont have the feature yet as well
version probably the reason

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
https://9to5google.com/2020/08/04/nearby-share-android-launch/

Google launches Nearby Share on Android, rolling out now to Pixel & Samsung devices

From Photos to Docs and Drive, sharing on Google services is primarily performed with links where a file is sent to the cloud and then distributed. There are times, however, when the upload process takes too long or you want a share to be more ephemeral. Apple’s offering is called AirDrop, and Google has been working on a solution for its devices over the last few years. After testing picked up in the past month, Nearby Share on Android is launching and beginning to roll out today.

Once rolled out, Nearby Share appears as a Quick Settings toggle when sliding the Android notifications shade all the way down. A tap slides up a bottom sheet and enables the ability to accept incoming transfers. This includes text, links, images, videos, and other file types, with Google’s emphasis being on quick sharing.

It comes as Google’s previous solution — introduced with Ice Cream Sandwich in 2011 — was deprecated with Android 10. Based on NFC, Android Beam required users to physically tap their devices.

corwill

I have "Nearby share" enabled on my Samsung Note 10+. See screenshots... unfortunately i dont have another device to test it (that also has Nearby Share " enabled)

Good luck. Screenshot_20200805-104916_Google%20Play%20services.jpgScreenshot_20200805-104946_FX.jpgScreenshot_20200805-105029_Google%20Play%20services.jpg

phly

Expert Member
I have "Nearby share" enabled on my Samsung Note 10+. See screenshots... unfortunately i dont have another device to test it (that also has Nearby Share " enabled)

Good luck. View attachment 887402View attachment 887404View attachment 887406
When I spotted it on my tablet it was not on my phone either and so i could not test it. Got out of playstore beta and the feature vanished. Right now a slightly annoying messages error is stopping me from testing things on my end but glad to see progress in terms of it coming out officially.

corwill

When I spotted it on my tablet it was not on my phone either and so i could not test it. Got out of playstore beta and the feature vanished. Right now a slightly annoying messages error is stopping me from testing things on my end but glad to see progress in terms of it coming out officially.

i also spotted "nearby share " icon in my quick settings of my tablet ,Samsung S6 LITE .
( Tablet has Android 10 etc .)
Tried to tap on icon to enable it ...it suddenly just disappeared from my quick settings !
Now cannot find it in any settings ,
however my Note 10+, seems to be working fine ..even though i cannot test it with another "nearby share "enabled device .

Bottom line .
Overall, i have a few other "similar " sharing options ?
i personally prefer " wifi direct " to share , my pics or other items .
It seems to works similar ,than nearby share .

I found that wifi direct is a really good option to transfers /share items /photo etc , really really fast .!!
eg. I shared /transfer +_ 17 photo's within , 2....5 seconds to another device .
where Bluetooth would have taken quite a while to do the job .!
Good luck .

Attachments

corwill

Further update.
I switched my old Note 8 on and noticed the nearby sharing icon in Quick settings.
Tested it, with my Note 10 +, working smoothly, no issues.
I shared a Samsung Goodlock apk module, from Note 10 to Note 8 with Nearby share,
Shared module, no issues.

isie

Honorary Master
Ok so I see Nearby share is available on my old Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.
No other phone in the household yet.