Need advice-Stay on Android or move to iOS?

djbrendan

Expert Member
I've been on Android for years and years. It's always been great. But for the last 4 years of 2 upgrades I've been thinking of trying something else. iPhones in this case...

My work phone is a iPhone 6.. it's good, but just didn't feel the need to upgrade to one. The device always felt responsive, still does after 4 going 5 years.

My current phone is the Samsung Note 10.
Previously P20 Pro
LG before that ( Cant remember the model)
Samsung Note 4..

But the last 3 generations of iPhones have me intrigued.. the 12 Pro has my attention quite a bit.

So it's down to iPhone 12 Pro or the Samsung S21 Ultra. I know Samsung has a 120hz screen..

My upgrade is in 4 months.. so I've got some time.

Van87

I hear you. I've done the same. 2019 got an iPhone 8, but soon got over it.

It was definitely fast responsive and compact, but I got bored quickly. So switched back to android.

I definitely do get annoyed by never getting proper updates with android, when compared to iOS.

I'm now with a new iPhone SE 2020 and thinking of switching to a Note 10+

djbrendan

Expert Member

It was definitely fast responsive and compact, but I got bored quickly. So switched back to android.

I definitely do get annoyed by never getting proper updates with android, when compared to iOS.

What so you use your phone for? Besides calling and whatsapp:D

phoneJunky

Executive Member
What intrigued you about the last iPhones?

Maybe check your apps to see if you have any must haves that may not be available on iOS. Also, since you already have the 6, was there anything that you feel didn't work correctly compared to you Note 4? There are many things that irk android people when switching.

I switched a few years back and there were a few things that I had to get used to. But overall it was a good decision for me.

iOS gives you a weekly summary of what you use the most. I don't know if android gives you something similar. But maybe look at that and see if all those functions will be dealt satisfactorily on iOS.

There is only really a few big pro's going for iOS and that is official long term support, ecosystem integration and apple silicon.

The S21 Ultra does look good, and by the time you upgrade it should be cheaper than the 12 Pro Max as well, maybe even the 12 Pro.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It's a fad anyways. One should not have to make life decisions based on a smart phone. Apple is about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Android the choice is in your hands.

djbrendan

Expert Member
I don't know if it's only me being bored and wanting to try a new OS

I'll give that thread a good read through!

I am the person that keeps my devices looking tip top and sell them when getting a new phone.

If I'm not mistaken, iPhones keep their value quite well?

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

So you got bored with the iPhone 8 (2017)
And then bought was was essentially another iPhone 8...

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I don't know if it's only me being bored and wanting to try a new OS

I'll give that thread a good read through!

I am the person that keeps my devices looking tip top and sell them when getting a new phone.

If I'm not mistaken, iPhones keep their value quite well?
Yes, iPhones generally hold their value the best.

Edit: And it is fine to try out something else. How else will you know what you like.

djbrendan

Expert Member
Yes, iPhones generally hold their value the best.

Edit: And it is fine to try out something else. How else will you know what you like.
That's what I'm thinking

I mean the work phone is what i call it, a work phone. It's not really setup, the browser has been opened once a year at least :ROFL:

Mainly it's for calls and whatsapp. So I never really experienced the iPhone device

djbrendan

Expert Member
Its from the IPhone X series when i started following their updates and feature sets. Latest update is apparently much improved and needed? Don't kill me, I'm just going of what a friend told me :)

The 12 Pro, to me, seems to be a great deal.
Just noticed how big the Max is.

Van87

So you got bored with the iPhone 8 (2017)

And then bought was was essentially another iPhone 8...
It’s more about the OS then the way the phone looks. There’s no way I was gonna buy an iPhone 11 Pro to see if I like iOS,

also as long as the iPhone in question is using the latest software, realistically it’s the same thing.

android amongst different oem’s is a bit different and then you have launchers etc.

Elon

+1 for just try it. It’s the only way you’ll know. The fanboys on either side are going to give you different answers.

A lot of the really great stuff on iPhone are the small touches that you come across when you aren’t looking for them, leaving a smile on your face, but there are so many and maybe they are so minor that nobody will tell you about any of it. But those add up.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Its from the IPhone X series when i started following their updates and feature sets. Latest update is apparently much improved and needed? Don't kill me, I'm just going of what a friend told me :)

The 12 Pro, to me, seems to be a great deal.
Just noticed how big the Max is.
I have the X, I haven't had any reason to upgrade just yet. Unless this years BMW come out with a magsafe holder (it has qi wireless charging pad currently) in it, I won't upgrade to the Max. The newer models have better cameras and faster processors. Other than that I don't see what I am missing. Just checked now, Apple Car Key is only available from the Xs. Apple Pay also looks like it is coming to SA soon and you need a 5s or higher.

I don't really know what is so much better for your friend, because the apple silicon big leap was the 8/X. And FaceID was the other big thing for me.

That's what I'm thinking

I mean the work phone is what i call it, a work phone. It's not really setup, the browser has been opened once a year at least :ROFL:

Mainly it's for calls and whatsapp. So I never really experienced the iPhone device

Okay, so just make sure that the things you use on Android will be available there. And have comparable use

randburgred

The questions I ask myself when buying a new phone
Screen size ?
Battery life?
Memory? Correct me if I am wrong but Samsung will allow a micro SD card to increase the the memory

phoneJunky

Executive Member
The questions I ask myself when buying a new phone
Screen size ?
Battery life?
Memory? Correct me if I am wrong but Samsung will allow a micro SD card to increase the the memory
No, the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra doesn't allow a micro SD card. The non-flagships does normally allow it though

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
/skips all comments

always Android, out of principle, fahk overpriced proprietary bullshyte