Need to get a new TV

PseudZ

Expert Member
Hi all,

My house got broken into last week and they made off with a few things - TV included.

Now I have no idea what TV to get or what is decent. Anything bigger than 43" will be overkill for me. So I came across these two smart TVs:

http://www.dionwired.co.za/catalog/product/view/id/18374/category/59/

http://www.game.co.za/tv-audio/40-full-hd-smart-led-tv-40j5200.html

40" Samsung and 43" LG with not much price difference. Are Samsung TVs still much better than LGs? Wanting to go for the LG because of the 43" but if the Samsung is better will go that route.

Will try get to the shops today to try them out.

Thanks

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Out of those two, I'd go for the LG.

Would you be able to stretch your budget for an UHD TV?

For a bit more detail.....

I don't think there is a massive difference between LG and Samsung. In fact, I don't believe there is a massive difference between LG, Samsung and Hisense.

What I would look out for is the panel type used. Get the model number of the TV, and see if you can find out what panel type it uses. By panel type, I mean what technology is used for the screen.

You get the following types:

TN - worst picture but fastest refresh time and cheapest to make. Widely used in laptops, not common in TVs
VA (MVA, PVA) - better picture than TN, widely used in TVs
IPS - best picture quality, slowest refresh rate, expensive, used also fairly widely in TVs
OLED - Don't confuse this with LED backlit. Organic LED means the picture itself uses LEDs that emit coloured light. Samsung uses this in their high end phones and it is used in very high end TVs. Like R50000 or more.
LED backlit - LEDs are used to illuminate the TV so that you can actually see a picture. Used in practically every single TV manufactured today.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Between the two, they are probably about the same. I have an LG Smart TV at home - pretty happy with the Smart TV part. It does everything I need - Netflix, Amazon, Google, YouTube. Can even do Showmax.

I'd expect Samsung to be the same, although I would expect more frequent software updates from Samsung.