Neotel network issues triggered by malware

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
What kind of malware would target a specific network?

Have they identified the malware yet? What sort of attack was it? Floodping, DDoS, or trying to replicate to other computers/devices?

GarethStep

I wonder if this isn't what's causing Telkom's LTE network to crawl to a halt in the evenings?

ponder

Honorary Master
What kind of malware would target a specific network?

Have they identified the malware yet? What sort of attack was it? Floodping, DDoS, or trying to replicate to other computers/devices?
I don't think it targets a specific network, the traffic it generates through selfpropagation just overwhelms the network.

I recall yonks ago dealing with a worm or virus where the traffic generated crippled a massive corporate wan. We implemented access control list on the cisco routers filtering the bad traffic over the wan and blocked infected desktops on the lan side. the poor end user support guys had their hands full cleaning up the mess on all the clients.

Why did this happen? The av definitions on the servers were not updated fast enough (and propagated to the clients) due to the QA process taking to long, when I say long it was like 24/48hrs. There was a lot of kuk & people wanted heads on stakes, think after that the QA process was skipped for AV stuff.