Neotel working on Linux!

frozt01100101

Attention! Attention all MyADSL netizens! Neotel USB modem usable on Linux, no further drivers from Neotel required.

Steps are as follows (with sample explanation to follow):
* modprobe the usbserial driver directly for the device
* ppp dialer config

How to do it:

Plug in your modem, and then use the 'lsusb' command.

Code:
user@linux:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 1d09:4000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

Here we get the USB vendor and product ID's (the first one, in this case).

Now we load the 'usbserial' driver specifically for this device:

Code:
user@linux:~$ sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1d09 product=0x4000

As you can see, we use the first segment of the ID number as the vendor, and the second segment as the product ID, both with 0x prepended.

Now, we check /dev to see that the devices are there:
Code:
user@linux:~$ ls /dev/ttyU*
/dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1

Next step is to configure the ppp connection. Since this example is done on an Ubuntu installation, we can use the Debian pppconfig utility

Code:
user@linux:~$ sudo pppconfig

In this utility, you enter the your username, password and the telephone number as needed, and then save the connection. Be sure to pick a descriptive name, as it is what you will be using to dial it up. Exit, and then we're ready to dial.

Dialing on Ubuntu:

Code:
user@linux:~$ sudo pon neotel

Where "neotel" is the connection name you picked in setup.

And that's it. At this point if nothing went wrong, you'll have a fully working ppp0 connection up.

Code:
ifconfig | grep ppp0

Information about device from here, and instructions for dialing from here

Enjoy :cool:

Vinaduro

Well Done

All of a sudden Neotel's future looks slightly brighter.

Thank you for this frozt, I now have my neotel modem on my linux pc, and my life will be better for it.

Great Job

zamrg

does this mean that one could essentially plug the modem into a unbuntu box, setup the box as a router, gateway and firewall and then enable port forwarding for one's network allowing skype and p2p to function correctly?

frozt01100101

does this mean that one could essentially plug the modem into a unbuntu box, setup the box as a router, gateway and firewall and then enable port forwarding for one's network allowing skype and p2p to function correctly?

As a router/gateway/firewall, yes. P2P it seems not yet, Skype I haven't heard the issues of yet. I actually made the guide by working alongside someone I know to get their Neotel modem usable under Linux. But having a Linux box internet-side is still a helluva lot safer for your network than having a Windows one internet-side.

edit: (side-note) The entire collaboration to get it working was done by communicating over the WUG :)

Last edited:

Neotel

Attention! Attention all MyADSL netizens! Neotel USB modem usable on Linux, no further drivers from Neotel required.

Enjoy :cool:

Thanks frozt01100101! We owe you one ;)

We'll get an official notification out soon.

[Posted from Ubuntu Linux on a VM, connected via NeoConnect Prime, just to be sure.]

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison

[Posted from Ubuntu Linux on a VM, connected via NeoConnect Prime, just to be sure.]

Woah! Nice to see you up and about responding in the wee hours of the morning ;)

+1 to Neotel Rep! :D

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Well done dude.
I hope you enjoy the fruit basket / Caribbean Holiday / Porsche or whatever it is that Neotel is sure to be winging your way!

frozt01100101

Posted from Ubuntu Linux on a VM, connected via NeoConnect Prime, just to be sure.
Cool stuff...so for those who might not know how to do this and want to try it out, here's a very quick guide for how to do so with VMWare. VMWare Server is freely usable for anyone (key can be gotten on the website), download is about 108MB or so.

1) Install VMWare.
2) Create a VM, be sure to pick bridged mode for the VM's networking and not NAT'd (this is important if you want to make the VM be able to act as a gateway to the rest of your network).
3) Add a USB device to the VM (I'm not at all sure whether VMWare on Windows gives it one by default).
4) Install a Linux in the VM.
5) Start up the VM, and then in the "VM" menu (in the VMWare interface) connect the USB device to the VM.

And then follow the instructions at the top of this thread. If anyone has a question regarding trying to make it work on any other distro than *buntu, feel free to PM me or come chat to us/me on our GLUG IRC channel (an applet is available on the GLUG site, link in my sig)

bdt

Executive Member
OK, so that's this issue fixed enough to make it do-able ...now how about that pesky 2 year [-]jail sentence[/-] contract? :rolleyes:

grobister

well I am on the Prime Unlimited and you can get out of the contract at anytime... you will just be liable for the device cost 80 x 24

it's expensive for a ****ty device but other than that you are not stuck there for 2 years.

Moederloos

Honorary Master
well I am on the Prime Unlimited and you can get out of the contract at anytime... you will just be liable for the device cost 80 x 24

it's expensive for a ****ty device but other than that you are not stuck there for 2 years.

QFT.

Stolla

Neotel Rep,

Maybe you can get the Ethernet device to frozt01100101 to Beta test for you. I'm sure Neotel can do with some Linux software for that 2.

locutis

A little help please,

I'm hooking this up to an IP cop firewall. Basically a stripped down 2.4.36 kernel.

What I've done:

My system does not have the sudo command available so I have logged in as root.

1.) Hooked up the box and confirmed that the USB connect event is visible in the messages file.

2.) Ran modprobe usbserial vendor=0x1d09 product=0x4000

output as per dmesg:

usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: Generic converter detected
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usbserial.c: Generic converter detected
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4

3.) Created a dialup profile called neotel and configured to to connect via serial with my neotel user name and password.

When I try to connect the red (wan) interface show the following error.

usb.c: USB device 5 (vend/prod 0x1d09/0x4000) is not claimed by any active driver.

Any ideas?

locutis

Ok got ppp talking to USB serial after restarting the network stack.

Still doesn't look like pppd is connecting with the modem.

20:56:52 pppd[2519] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
20:56:53 pppd[2519] Serial connection established.
20:56:53 pppd[2519] Using interface ppp0
20:56:53 pppd[2519] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB1
20:57:24 pppd[2519] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
20:57:24 pppd[2519] Connection terminated.

How to I trouble shoot this.

Last edited:

frozt01100101

To date I haven't had chance to play with a neotel connection on a 2.4 kernel, so I can't really help too much right now. Also, we have become aware that there are to some people issues with the modem only connecting for a short amount of time, then falling off of the face of the planet. Busy looking to see if we can get the fix figured out.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
:eek: Oh dear... I suspect you have just awakened a sleeping bear!

Probably. But it's not untrue, hey. :D I mean, Look at the thread topic, it's like a fantastic new discovery or development that would revolutionize technology, while all the time for us Windows users it's as simple as plugging it in.