Neotel's 800Gbps network is growing

rph72

Executive Member
Pfffttt... No use if they cannot even bring out decent consumer products.

Saajid

Expert Member
Still too slow. They need to ramp up investments in fibre, and at least start with rolling out last mile fibre-based infrastructure to consumers.

zamicro

Expert Member
Any low cost fixed line options available from them? Didn't think so.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Still too slow. They need to ramp up investments in fibre, and at least start with rolling out last mile fibre-based infrastructure to consumers.
You can get it if you are willing to pay.
But looking at how few telecoms companies offer FTTx in SA, the demand is clearly very low

skusku

You can get it if you are willing to pay.
But looking at how few telecoms companies offer FTTx in SA, the demand is clearly very low
The demand is very low because most people in this country doesn't even know what is and that it exists.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Neotel's 100 000 customers out of 50 million people is nothing to be proud of. They will be not grow their subscriber base as long as they persist in inferior wireless products, neglecting the domestic sector, poor service and billing and their aggressive approach towards non payers. Even if they have a million gig line, I am not interested. I have been with them for 3 months and never again. That was enough suffering.

Paul_S

Expert Member
The demand is very low because most people in this country doesn't even know what is and that it exists.
I think pricing is the biggest hurdle.
Neotel 10Mbps, uncapped, FTTX (NeoBroadband Fibre) = R8 200 per month.

rph72

Executive Member
Neotel's 100 000 customers out of 50 million people is nothing to be proud of. They will be not grow their subscriber base as long as they persist in inferior wireless products, neglecting the domestic sector, poor service and billing and their aggressive approach towards non payers. Even if they have a million gig line, I am not interested. I have been with them for 3 months and never again. That was enough suffering.
+1 and I was with them for 3 years. What was I thinking.

fragtion

Expert Member
Wow they have 800Gbps that nobody can use.
+1. Perhaps they're planning a mass-provisioning of "1-WCDMA-device-per-person" for 34'952'533 South Africans. If each simultaneously downloads at the typical maximum Neotel WCDMA speed of 3KB/s, then they might saturate their 800Gbps... :)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Wait a minute.... their network is 800Gbps?!?!!?

Is that all?...

We have more bloody international bandwidth landing in this country.

WACS : 5.12Tbps
EASSY : 4.72Tbps
SAT3 : 340Gbps
SAFE : 440Gbps

Whats actually very disturbing is a system that was built and installed over 10 years ago has half the capacity of Neototties core network :wtf:

I'm sorry, but that just underlines for me how behind the curve Neotottie actually are.

Avenue

Expert Member
Neotel’s fibre network now reaches 40 South African cities with a capacity of 800Gbpos on main routes
doesn't help if they price themselves out of the market though

Bern

Expert Member
Nice Neotel, what I would like to know is what Telkom etc have available to better understand the market. Neotel have a few large corporate customers, but then so does Telkom - what would be interesting is to know who has more spare capacity available.

I think pricing is the biggest hurdle.
Neotel 10Mbps, uncapped, FTTX (NeoBroadband Fibre) = R8 200 per month.
and R11 250 or so for 15Mbps, up and down. You can't really compare that to an ADSL line at all for business - what good is 10Mbps down when you are getting under 1Mbps up for VPN or uploading stuff (say CCTV) to offsite storage/monitoring? The contention etc is also vastly different. Don't get me wrong, I would love the 15Mbps line to be R500pm, but if you compare this offering to the Telkom fibre option it is actually quite cheap.

One word neotot knows nothing about:

CONSUMER
True, but you can also blame the whole ECNS debacle and Telkom not giving them access for LLU for this which would be more appropriate. They expected to be the only other player and get access to Telkom infrastructure.
Wait a minute.... their network is 800Gbps?!?!!?

Is that all?...

We have more bloody international bandwidth landing in this country.

WACS : 5.12Tbps
EASSY : 4.72Tbps
SAT3 : 340Gbps
SAFE : 440Gbps

Whats actually very disturbing is a system that was built and installed over 10 years ago has half the capacity of Neototties core network :wtf:

I'm sorry, but that just underlines for me how behind the curve Neotottie actually are.
You are quoting design capacity, not current capacity. WACS has 500Gbps lit, Seacom only has something like 100Gbps lit to start with, not sure if they have lit more than another 100Gbps since then. I am sure they can also change equipment and light more fibre to get higher rates if it was actually needed.

If you have good quality fibre it is the transmission equipment that makes the biggest difference and that costs big bucks for the DWMD stuff.

Think about it this way, they have 100 000 clients with 800 000Mbps backbone. That means 8Mbps per user with no contention (yes I know the business guys buy more and the CDMA will get less, but you get the idea right?). I would be interested to know how Telkom's network compares, especially now with the NGSHD network they have put it (well, the main areas are done anyway).