Netgear DG834GU V5 - Need help with setup

Fyson

Hi everyone,

I got a Netgear DG834GU v5 from an auction site for about R75 including shipping.

I basically want to use it as a range extender and also to connect a hard drive to it to share media with my laptop and cellphone.

So far it hasn't gone very well. about 10min after I switch it on (to get into its settings screen) my internet completely freezes. Google Chrome will try to load a webpage in vain.

That will probably be fixed with a little tweaking of the settings. My guess is DHCP is incorrectly setup.

I already have a TP-Link WR743ND Router and a TP-Link Range Extender that is working correctly.

Can I use this as a range extender or repeater whilst still using it to share files from a USB Hard drive?

The settings on my TP-Link are fairly easy to setup and is sort of selfexplanatory, but this netgear is NOT!
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

If it will help I can make a network map of the whole thing.

ponder

Honorary Master
So far it hasn't gone very well. about 10min after I switch it on (to get into its settings screen) my internet completely freezes. Google Chrome will try to load a webpage in vain.
I'm 99% sure it's overheating, common problem with them. I have one that does the same thing.

Fyson

Damn. I felt it now and it is much hotter than i'm used to for these things.

Any way of sorting it out without having to buy another one?

Fyson

I should point out something else I found that is very weird.

I get my internet through wifi from an existing router via Wifi card.
This netgear one I plugged into the gigabit network port at the back of my PC. It is in no way connected to the internet.
The Netgear Wifi also appears on my wifi list but it isn't connected
After a while i can't open a webpage. That baffles me as my wifi is still connected. The moment I switch the netgear one off i can browse happily again.

So is this completely useless or is that caused by a settings conflict or something?

I have yet to try to connect to it through wifi. I can't get past the darn setup without the need to google this or that which I cannot because as long as the darn thing is on i have no internet (Apart form the first couple of minutes.)

Fyson

Ok. So it looks like I tried to cheap my way out of this but its not working.

I didn't want to do this as I already have a hard drive and a router with usb port, but what about a WD my book live?

http://www.takealot.com/computers/wd-my-book-live-3tb-3-5-inch-external-hdd-network-only,28052524

Basically it is R450 more than the 3TB Internal drive I bought a week ago. IMO not too bad a deal, but for a tiny bit more I could get a 4TB internal drive, not that that will help me in any way. Just rambling on.

So does anyone think that is a better idea or am I just talking to myself again?

Fyson

I don't have the stand for it. But I do have a hot glue gun and a piece of metal.
I'm not attached to this so I might just remove the cover altogether so it doesn't get so hot.

I've yet to open it to see if the caps are leaking electrolyte or not as my torx driver kit is playing hide and seek with me.

Thanks for the youtube links, i'll have a look at them in a bit.

Fyson

Thanks Ponder for the youtube links. I was wondering why all the ones I see online are nice and white and mine is beige.
I thought it might be because its telkom, now I know.

Also, the reviews for the WD my book live isn't that great so my options are either to build a nas from scratch which I really don't what to do purely because of the amount of electricity it will use staying on 24/7/365.

The only option that uses the least amount of electricity is a router with NAS USB support.

I'm just frustrated that i now have to buy yet again another darn router.

Can anyone recommend one that will work for me but also won't break the bank?
I would prefer to use TP-Link as my router and range extender are both TP-Link and works well without even a hint of overheating and in the last 2 years that I've had it i only needed to restart it once.

Fyson

there is one problem i didn't think of.

If I go the router USB hard drive route then there will be no dlna support.
And getting to my files on that hard drive using my phone will be a real pain.

So i'm back to absolutely nowhere.

ponder

Honorary Master
I'm not attached to this so I might just remove the cover altogether so it doesn't get so hot.

...as my torx driver kit is playing hide and seek with me.
Removing the cover did not help for mine, still too hot. Some of those ICs get so hot they burn your fingers, reckon you could fry a small egg on them.

Use a small flat that fits, worked for me.

Fyson

I don't have a flat driver that is small enough to fit. I've got plenty of Philips and even a Supadriv, but my flat's are all waay too big.

I do have a torx set I bought to destroy an old 300MB hard drive, I just have to find the darn thing.

Fyson

Ironically, I used the magnets from that hard drive and others to secure my screwdrivers and torx set.