Network management tools for network switch

phoenix55

I have a TP-LINK TL-SF1016 network switch that my internet and wireless access points are connected to and users are connected through.

Since all the traffic goes through the network switch (whether it's wireless or wired traffic) I would like to be able to use a tool to be able to see network activity such as which clients are connected and how much data they are using,etc.

This will help when there are slow responses, as then I can see if the problem lies with someone downloading big files, etc. or something else. Will definitely help lessen investigating time spent on this.

Can this network switch have software or tools loaded onto it. If so, how?

If not, are there any other tools that can be used to retrieve this information?

Any guidance would be most helpful

Sanemoon

Is it a managed or unmanaged switch? If unmanaged, it's not designed to be monitored and has no interface nor protocols with which to do so. If it's a managed switch then it will either have a GUI interface, or telnet interface, or you can use SNMP to control it using something like PRTG

Sanemoon

It looks like an unmanaged switch. I am not familiar with Tp link switches but it looks like there is no GUI interface or protocol interface to that switch.

phoenix55

Thanks, Sanemoon

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives? Do I need a separate router in between to be able to monitor and manage things or get another switch?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What router is being used? Traffic monitoring should be handled by your router/firewall, if it's not up to the task then I'd suggest getting something that is.

Gaijin

Assuming you are not running a firewall, if your wireless access point and/or router supports SNMP. You can use the Open Source software Cacti for generating rrdtool graphs for utilization reports. Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but just a suggestion.

MrDraytek

Draytek Rep
Company Rep
DrayTek Smart Monitor for network monitoring and reporting

Since all the traffic goes through the network switch (whether it's wireless or wired traffic) I would like to be able to use a tool to be able to see network activity such as which clients are connected and how much data they are using,etc.

This will help when there are slow responses, as then I can see if the problem lies with someone downloading big files, etc. or something else. Will definitely help lessen investigating time spent on this.

Can this network switch have software or tools loaded onto it. If so, how?

If not, are there any other tools that can be used to retrieve this information?

Any guidance would be most helpful
Hi Phoenix,

As some others in the thread mentioned, it's usually your router/firewall which would facilitate the monitoring of bandwidth usage.

Our DrayTek routers such as the Vigor2860 series run hand-in-hand with the DrayTek Smart Monitor software, which one installs for free on a LAN PC to monitor each user/device on the network. One can view reports such as data/bandwidth usage, monitor web pages and server visited and more.

Further to that, with your DrayTek router, you could then limit bandwidth on a per-device basis.

Feel free to give a shout if you're interested in hearing more, or if you'd like to be put in touch with a reseller in your area.