New 12-core AMD Ryzen processor leaked

BTTB

What will it be used for?
I doubt I will be playing much games, that being said I suppose when you upgrade you will be inclined to have a PC that can at least render a game modestly. My current PC still runs TF2 btw. :p
Otherwise browsing, YouTube and work which involves MS Office programs.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Athlon 64 was awesome, I had the Athlon 64 X2 6000+, then Phenom II X6 but my power usage was a bit too much, so I went E350 APU and never looked back. Used an AM1 APU for 3 years before I upgraded to Ryzen 5 APU last year.

The last intel I used was in 2000 when I bought a 2nd hand P2 333 - it served me well but when the Athlon XP came along it was clear that intel lost it.

BTTB

Athlon 64 was awesome, I had the Athlon 64 X2 6000+, then Phenom II X6 but my power usage was a bit too much, so I went E350 APU and never looked back. Used an AM1 APU for 3 years before I upgraded to Ryzen 5 APU last year.

The last intel I used was in 2000 when I bought a 2nd hand P2 333 - it served me well but when the Athlon XP came along it was clear that intel lost it.
Similar experience. My last Intel was a Pentium 2 350 Deschutes which I acquired in early 1988 or thereabouts which served for a few years until I went for AMD and am still there.
My CPU is long in the tooth now and an upgrade means a whole new motherboard, ram etc. So will be nosing around threads like this for the foreseeable future.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
AMD are very upgrade-friendly. Back in the day you could run AM3 CPU in the AM2+ board as they made the memory controller backwards compatible. Same with the new AM4 platform, you wull be able to run Zen2 based processors on the old 3xx series chipsets.

This is a deliberate move so they can sell newer processors to big ass server companies who will simply drop them in their existing infrastructure without much effort. Double their IPC and making AMD some dollars. In stark contrast intel, for years, made the deliberate move to have you upgrade your mobo alongside the CPU. Just because.

However your DDR1 based Athlon has no upgrade path in this day and age :giggle:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
A 12 core processor doesn't make much sense if you don't have the memory to feed it. AMD's issue is that they're trying to bring performance to the non performance market. They should either have quad channel memory for all platforms or keep the high core lineup for their X399 to reduce the cost of these platforms.
Not everyone needs quad channel memory.
Supposedly the higher end Ryzen 3rd gen parts in desktop will have a very large L3 cache, 32 or 64MB, with a substantial improvement in inter-chiplet latency due to the IO Die and it there are rumors sprouting that desktop parts will have direct inter-chiplet communication.

And we've had this argument in regards to quad channel before, if the price to bring it to desktops is too high, then there is no point as a vast majority of the consumers don't need it.

I will buy whatever has the best price/performance ratio for my budget, it used to be Intel, now it seems to be Ryzen, so I will be buying AMD in my next upgrade, but that will only be end 2020 earliest I think.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Intel is rather tight lipped when it comes to what they are doing in terms of R&D, however based on their track record over the last 18 months I think they will not be releasing chiplet based processors in the short to medium term.

When they previously copied innovation such as speed step (Transmeta), multi-core CPU (AMD), integrated memory controller (AMD), DDR (DEC) - any many others - it took them a good couple of months to reach the market. I don't expect anything different this time round.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not everyone needs quad channel memory.
Supposedly the higher end Ryzen 3rd gen parts in desktop will have a very large L3 cache, 32 or 64MB, with a substantial improvement in inter-chiplet latency due to the IO Die and it there are rumors sprouting that desktop parts will have direct inter-chiplet communication.

And we've had this argument in regards to quad channel before, if the price to bring it to desktops is too high, then there is no point as a vast majority of the consumers don't need it.

I will buy whatever has the best price/performance ratio for my budget, it used to be Intel, now it seems to be Ryzen, so I will be buying AMD in my next upgrade, but that will only be end 2020 earliest I think.
Maybe not but even their 8-core processors are struggling under memory load. It makes zero sense to add more cores. So either bring quad channel availability to the mass market or reserve the high core counts for their TR platform. With a bit of thought they could even have had interoperability with processors working on either platform but TR being quad channel.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Maybe not but even their 8-core processors are struggling under memory load. It makes zero sense to add more cores. So either bring quad channel availability to the mass market or reserve the high core counts for their TR platform. With a bit of thought they could even have had interoperability with processors working on either platform but TR being quad channel.
No.