New Cape Town FTTH operator

JStrike

Honorary Master
Great news. I have wondered for ages why Webafrica haven't rolled out their own Fibre network in these specific areas

The_MAC

Expert Member
There are so many of these "operators" out there these days, my concern is that their backhaul (Local and International) is insufficient to deliver a true fibre speed and experience. But its great to see competition is stiffening up

znh

The low hanging fruit shall be plucked first (easy money). Next frontier of expansion will be middle income suburbs. I also suspect that soon there will be area specific WISPS covering your middle income hood with cheap WIFI as people order a Fibre line and resell access. Telkom is going to get a serious lesson/hiding in competitiveness. DFA will soon have to rename their name to LFA (Lit Fibre Africa)

Last edited:

jackshiels

Expert Member
Once the rich areas are completed, expect places like Newlands, Rondebosch and others to get subsidised FTTH. Just give it a couple of years - very few countries around the world have cracked affordable FTTH deployment.

Octotel have some experience with FTTH in the past in apartments - the Atlantic Seaboard makes sense for them. Not sure how I feel about this area fragmenting though - if I decide to move to a different FTTH area will I be able to keep the same package as before? Not likely...

Rkootknir

Expert Member
The low hanging fruit shall be plucked first (easy money). Next frontier of expansion will be middle income suburbs. I also suspect that soon there will be area specific WISPS covering your middle income hood with cheap WIFI as people order a Fibre line and resell access. Telkom is going to get a serious lesson/hiding in competitiveness. DFA will soon have to rename their name to LFA (Lit Fibre Africa)
A bit off topic.

Based on what I've heard about the poor takeup on Telkom's FTTH rollout this is not necessarily a good strategy and I think there's a relatively simple reason for it. People in rich areas (in JHB: Sandhurst, Hyde Park, Westcliff & Houghton) probably already have fast internet through some other source - due to Telkom being so poor at rolling out last mile broadband infrastructure in the past.

Now everybody is targeting these rich areas again and they are just not interested in anything more than they already have. Meanwhile for people in e.g. Randburg, we are still stuck on 4Mbps max with no remote MSANs \ ISAMs in sight so distance to the exchange is a huge problem. Why Telkom didn't target these under-serviced areas first for the VDSL & FTTH rollout by building MSANs and ISAMs outside of the exchange buildings is a mystery to me - the take up could have been huge. Now it looks like we're not ever going to get proper broadband from Telkom...

jackshiels

Expert Member
A bit off topic.

Based on what I've heard about the poor takeup on Telkom's FTTH rollout this is not necessarily a good strategy and I think there's a relatively simple reason for it. People in rich areas (in JHB: Sandhurst, Hyde Park, Westcliff & Houghton) probably already have fast internet through some other source - due to Telkom being so poor at rolling out last mile broadband infrastructure in the past.

Now everybody is targeting these rich areas again and they are just not interested in anything more than they already have. Meanwhile for people in e.g. Randburg, we are still stuck on 4Mbps max with no remote MSANs \ ISAMs in sight so distance to the exchange is a huge problem. Why Telkom didn't target these under-serviced areas first for the VDSL & FTTH rollout by building MSANs and ISAMs outside of the exchange buildings is a mystery to me - the take up could have been huge. Now it looks like we're not ever going to get proper broadband from Telkom...
I think that the big blue is going to be forced to cooperate with these new providers. With us, Telkom has decided to provide their services over Frogfoot/Link Africa's network. Could this be the signal of a new Telkom strategy? Monopoly never lasts forever.

kianm

Honorary Master
My ADSL line has been intermittently disconnecting for the past month. And fiber is still years away :crying:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Before opening article I said to myself I bet they are starting in the same areas around Cape Town again as usual and not the Northern Suburbs, then I opened article ..... :whistling:

Barge

123net offers "free internet" for at least 2 years up to 5mbps down, 1mbps up, if one pays the R3600 installation fee either in a lump sum or R300 x 12 monthly payments. I'd go for that in a shot.