New car for under R250K

Pufferfish94

Hi guys,

I am looking to get a new car on finance and don't want to spend more than R3000 pm. It seems this would cap the value of the cars I can afford to about R250K.

So far my top 2 are the Mazda 2 and the Kia Rio.

I would like to avoid VW due to the high risk of theft and want to stay away from Ford due to their ongoing situation with the Kuga.

I was hoping you guys could chime in with any other options I should be looking at or your opinions on my top 2.

Thanks in advance.

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a new car on finance and don't want to spend more than R3000 pm.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a deposit/trade in ? Because currently my mom is paying R3300 for Her Volvo S40 which she purchased for R139 990.

Sumen

Expert Member
ok, according to https://www.wesbank.co.za/wesbankcoza/calculate/purchaseprice you can only afford a car for R195 000

You will still be able to get a New, Demo or 1 year old car.
You will still be able to find a Mazda 2 and a Kia Rio

You could also consider Honda Jazz/Hyundai i20/Mazda 3/Opel Adam,Astra,Corsa/Peugeot 208/Renault Clio/Suzuki Swift

Last edited:

Craig_

Honorary Master
Hi guys,

I am looking to get a new car on finance and don't want to spend more than R3000 pm. It seems this would cap the value of the cars I can afford to about R250K.

I would like to avoid VW due to the high risk of theft and want to stay away from Ford due to their ongoing situation with the Kuga.

I was hoping you guys could chime in with any other options I should be looking at or your opinions on my top 2.

Thanks in advance.

You are going to struggle to get a brand new car for that kind of repayment. Unless you take out a massive residual, and even then, I doubt it's going to be that low.

Pufferfish94

If I need to I can pay more than R3000 per month, but if it is still too much than my parents have offered to pay for it cash and allow me to pay them the R3000 pm.

I would like to avoid including anyone else but if it comes to that I am covered.

Sumen

Expert Member
If I need to I can pay more than R3000 per month, but if it is still too much than my parents have offered to pay for it cash and allow me to pay them the R3000 pm.

I would like to avoid including anyone else but if it comes to that I am covered.

You will need around R1500 extra and it will also take you 7 years to pay your parents with R3000pm.

just lower your budget to R200 000 and settle for a 1 year old car

Badprop_za

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned by others, you are going to struggle finding a new car for R250k at R3k per month.

What is your requirements in terms of the car? Wants versus needs can make a big difference......

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
What is your requirements in terms of the car? Wants versus needs can make a big difference......

^ This.

I have the 2016 Mazda 2, it's an amazing car but I'm a bachelor - if I was a family man with kids I would have given up on the looks and sportier ride and gone with a Jazz as it's more practical.

Pufferfish94

My requirements are mainly reliability/quality and something with an engine bigger than a 1.2.

I don't know much about engines but my assumption is that anything smaller than a 1.2 would struggle a bit.

Judge-ZN

Do your homework and factor in insurance, maintenance and running costs. A demo or 1 year old might be a better prospect as you would get more bang for buck and still have warrantees and possibly service plan in place.

Pufferfish94

I am 23, no kids and won't be having any for the next few years so I don't need anything big.

Pufferfish94

Do your homework and factor in insurance, maintenance and running costs. A demo or 1 year old might be a better prospect as you would get more bang for buck and still have warrantees and possibly service plan in place.

I have already factored in insurance and petrol so that shouldn't be a problem.