new chromecast

Mobus

So who's getting a new chromecast ? Normal or the "audio" version?

I want one but its still only available in the USA. Almost bought the old one on takealot - on the day the new one was announced.

If anyone gets a new chromecast, let us know how well it works in SA (streaming via unoDNS, screen casting etc).

cerebus

Honorary Master
So who's getting a new chromecast ? Normal or the "audio" version?

I want one but its still only available in the USA. Almost bought the old one on takealot - on the day the new one was announced.

If anyone gets a new chromecast, let us know how well it works in SA (streaming via unoDNS, screen casting etc).

Well, it's literally only been released this last week and the reviews are still coming out. I'm going to get one immediately when it arrives here though, I'm quite excited for it. I've been tossing between this or Roku 3 (I might get an Apple TV when it comes out as well). But I like the idea of casting games and photos from apps. The original CC is quite cheap at Orange for R414 as well so I was tempted to get it but I much rather get v2.

saor

Honorary Master
What does v2 offer over v1?
More details here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/772286-New-Google-Chromecast-and-Chromecast-Audio
More significantly, Google has updated the guts of the Chromecast to include support for modern Wi-Fi streaming standards (802.11ac, 5Ghz). There are three different antennas in the device for optimized Wi-Fi streaming, whereas the first Chromecast only had one. In fact, the Chromecast team says it worked with the Google OnHub team to design the Chromecast's new antenna structure.

There's also something called "Fast Play" being introduced with the new Chromecast. It's a way for the Chromecast to pre-fetch a video streaming app (like Netflix) and video content it thinks you'll want to watch before you hit play. Though the technical details are a little complicated (think coordination between your phone, the Chromecast's software, and the web service delivering the video), the results are meant to equal less time waiting before you get your Narcos fix....
Pity Amazon don't ship Chromecast intl.

cerebus

Honorary Master
What does v2 offer over v1?

Well, from early reviews it seems to load faster than v1. It also has a better design that doesn't stick out the back of the TV if you have wall mounting. The setup is easier with the new app, and there's a content discovery app that should also work on the v1. But the main thing they touted at the launch was the network improvements, as saor linked to above. So overall and especially since it's so cheap, there's really no reason to get the V1 anymore.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I have the old one but have been using other devices that are just easier to use.

The new audio one does sound like a cool idea though.

I would probably get the lan cable instead of getting the new chromecast.

Skimmie

The Audio version intrigues me quite a bit. Will definitely try and get it as soon as it is available here.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I actually dont really use my chromecast much anymore, so doubt I'll look at getting v2. My Pi2 does all I need.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Also if anyone wants to offload their v1 Chromecast to me I'm looking to buy one as a temp. I've actually decided that I want an Apple TV 4 but it'll be a few months before I can get that so in the meanwhile I'd like to set up the CC. Anyone?

Vegeta

Executive Member
I got the software update so now my v1's have all the features of v2 except this "better wifi" Never bothered me since my internet is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR slower than my Wifi. That's not my bottleneck at all

Nice that they didn't change too much so v1 owners stay happy.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Alright I just got my Chromecast set up. It's a bit slow to load stuff, but when it does it plays back perfectly. Nice.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Okay next challenge.... how to get BBC iPlayer and Hulu and maybe even Netflix to work on this.

Vegeta

Executive Member
Okay next challenge.... how to get BBC iPlayer and Hulu and maybe even Netflix to work on this.
No challenge what so ever:

FilmOn app for all the UK channels.
Hulu app for Hulu
Netflix app for Netflix

Unotelly to trick them, should take you no more than 15minutes.

saor

Honorary Master
Amazon’s abrupt decision to stop selling Apple TV and Chromecast devices has led to a lot of head-scratching, with analysts and pundits alike wondering why the retailer would forego the revenues from two of the market’s best-selling consumer electronics devices. Amazon would like consumers to believe it’s all about Prime Video not being available on either. Critics muse that it’s a thinly veiled move to sell more Fire TVs.

The truth is likely a lot more complex, and part of a new platform war that pits Amazon against Apple and Google.
Source
Yeah - sucks that Amazon aren't going to stock it. Haven't seen it locally yet.

cerebus

Honorary Master
No challenge what so ever:

FilmOn app for all the UK channels.
Hulu app for Hulu
Netflix app for Netflix

Unotelly to trick them, should take you no more than 15minutes.

Thanks.

- I can't see an option to cast on the FilmOn Android app, is it something you have to do from the browser?

Vegeta

Executive Member
Thanks.

- I can't see an option to cast on the FilmOn Android app, is it something you have to do from the browser?
Nope just works, just like anything else. Same as Youtube.
Make sure you have the right app there's a couple on the app store.