New Citi Gold Ignition

Sysem

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I have a 1999 Citi Golf that I've replaced the ignition on before. Yesterday, things went pear-shaped (battery is stuffed) and I've only just managed to figure out my ignition is stuffed up too. If I turn the key, the lights all come on, but nothing turns over. It's happened before, and a simple replacing of the ignition worked (seems the pin going in was a little too short - probably wear and tear?).

Now after going over it again - removing the ignition, and trying to start it with a screwdriver, I've found the whole ignition in the steering column is buggered. What is this going to cost to replace? Usually I do all the fixes myself, but this seems like it might need proper attention.

Thanks

Fazda

Honorary Master
Get prices from Goldwagen and then try and find an electrical car guy to sort it out. Possibly the cheapest route to take.

ponder

Honorary Master
How many other keys do you have on your car keyring?

Sysem

Expert Member
Get prices from Goldwagen and then try and find an electrical car guy to sort it out. Possibly the cheapest route to take.

Will do

So far, 3. I've had a series of break ins recently. So my drivers door and ignition are the same key, boot separate and then another for the passenger door.

Fazda

Honorary Master
So far, 3. I've had a series of break ins recently. So my drivers door and ignition are the same key, boot separate and then another for the passenger door

That sounds about right for the average Citi! ;) :p

Hemi300c

Honorary Master

Probably the few mentioned but a bottle opener, 6 remotes, a metal dog, a metal razor blade, a metal surf board etc etc just kidding but it amazes me to see the weight people put on their key rings and transferred to the ignition.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Probably the few mentioned but a bottle opener, 6 remotes, a metal dog, a metal razor blade, a metal surf board etc etc just kidding but it amazes me to see the weight people put on their key rings and transferred to the ignition.

This was actually a major problem back in the day when immobilisers were the plug in type next to the key - most cars ended up with ignition problems simply due to the load of rubbish that their owners thought that the keyhole could hold! :)

Sysem

Expert Member

Funny :p But currently on my keys are: One ignition key, one boot key, one petrol cap key, one gear lock key, one alarm remote. So not that bad ;)

ponder

Honorary Master
This was actually a major problem back in the day when immobilisers were the plug in type next to the key - most cars ended up with ignition problems simply due to the load of rubbish that their owners thought that the keyhole could hold! :)

Yeah that's why I'm asking.

I recall reading the garageman's casebook(?) column in car magazine years ago and this guys client had a really weird problem with his car. When going around a corner in a certain direction his car would cut out and only in the one direction. After some fooling around and head scratching they figured out the g-forces when turning in that direction would make the weight of all the keys and crap he had attached to the keyring force the key in the already lose barrel to change position slightly and contact was broken :D