New coffee machine

Duan

So my coffee machine had served me very well for mor years than I can remember.

This is what I had: https://www.gourmetfoodshop.co.za/shop/beverages/coffee-machines/saeco-odea-giro-plus/

It has however decided to go decaf. (It died)

So I am in the market for a new one. It worked quite hard with about 20 - 30 cups a day for more than 6 years. Whatever I replace it with should obviously be up to the task.

Mostly we have double espressos and the one button thing works well for me. I want to be able to tune it to my preference so some customizable settings are important.

While manual machines are very attractive they tend to be more that I am willing to part with and too time consuming to operate.

The SO also needs to be able to operate so... ease of use is important.

Does anyone have recommendations at around 10k or less?

calypso

Expert Member
20-30 a day? Im no expert but i think you will struggle to find a machine that does this reliably for R10000.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I have one quite similar to this one (It looks like the only difference is that mine is black). It's quite boss. Two of my friends have the same one I do, and the one services a family. Mine only has to deal with my demands.

I'm quite sure it could handle 10 cups a day, everyday, with regular cleaning, lubing up, and servicing. It's quite a list of demands, but well worth it for what it gives me in return:

- Milk Carafe requires TLC twice a week
- Needs a wipedown inside and out, and the brewgroup needs cleaning once a week
- Needs milk circuit cleaner, coffee oil tablets, and lubing of the brew group once a month
- Needs decalcification every few months (usage dependent)
- Needs a service every 18 months, but I have heard it's better to service after every second decalc.

Cleaning and maintenance aside, it's pretty straight forward to use. Pop in milk carafe (if cappuccino's are your thing), push cappuccino button, wait for goodness.

My first machine was a fully manual Russel Hobbs. It lasted a year, then kicked the bucket. This one is on its third year now (I think - would have to check to be sure).

Duan

DeLonghi http://www.delonghi.com/en-za/products/coffee/coffee-makers/bean-to-cup/ecam-23460s-0132215182. Can you not fix the Saeco? Afaik Philips bought them so just take it to a Philips dealership.
I have actually fixed it (again). It is an amazing little machine, but it is starting to breakdown too often lately.

Also, I have always serviced and repaired it myself. I calculated that after 3 visits to the repairman I could replace it with what they charge... It is truly a joke.

How much is that DeLonghi? Who provides after sales service?

Duan

Obviously more than you were asking, but perhaps worth considering if you are thinking of renovating your kitchen soon (it's a built-in):
https://m.miele.co.za/domestic/coffee-machines-2522.htm?mat=09522220&name=CVA_6805

We had one installed when we did our last renovation. Makes great coffe and saves surface space.
I think you may have me confused with someone else. I cant afford that machine on its own, let alone as part of a kitchen refurb... but one can dream.

Duan

20-30 a day? Im no expert but i think you will struggle to find a machine that does this reliably for R10000.
Well I suppose I could replace it with the same one that I had.

But that model is probably very close to end of life.

That is why I am looking at alternatives. I guess it could also be that my old machine was a bit of an anomaly and lasted under heavy use much longer that it was supposed to... dunno.

Duan

I have one quite similar to this one (It looks like the only difference is that mine is black). It's quite boss. Two of my friends have the same one I do, and the one services a family. Mine only has to deal with my demands.

I'm quite sure it could handle 10 cups a day, everyday, with regular cleaning, lubing up, and servicing. It's quite a list of demands, but well worth it for what it gives me in return:

- Milk Carafe requires TLC twice a week
- Needs a wipedown inside and out, and the brewgroup needs cleaning once a week
- Needs milk circuit cleaner, coffee oil tablets, and lubing of the brew group once a month
- Needs decalcification every few months (usage dependent)
- Needs a service every 18 months, but I have heard it's better to service after every second decalc.

Cleaning and maintenance aside, it's pretty straight forward to use. Pop in milk carafe (if cappuccino's are your thing), push cappuccino button, wait for goodness.

My first machine was a fully manual Russel Hobbs. It lasted a year, then kicked the bucket. This one is on its third year now (I think - would have to check to be sure).
Thanks for this, it looks really well priced and seems to tick all the boxes.

Can you use it without ever installing the milk carafe? I don’t like that part much.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Thanks for this, it looks really well priced and seems to tick all the boxes.

Can you use it without ever installing the milk carafe? I don’t like that part much.
Yes you can, there is another nozzle that comes with it that will dispense water so you could make a long black if you wanted to.
I am one of the friends Mr Norris was talking about.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have actually fixed it (again). It is an amazing little machine, but it is starting to breakdown too often lately.

Also, I have always serviced and repaired it myself. I calculated that after 3 visits to the repairman I could replace it with what they charge... It is truly a joke.

How much is that DeLonghi? Who provides after sales service?
Just over R11k but you can look for discounts at the brick and mortar stores. Can service it at any Delonghi dealer.

There's also Bosch which comes with 6 profiles AFAIK and seems more capable for your needs. https://www.makro.co.za/appliances/bosch-automatic-coffee-machine-tes6052rw-316459EA

tjiPPi

Bit of a resurrection, but I'm looking at getting a coffee machine as well for home use.
It will mostly be used on the weekends for a couple of cups (2 to 4) per day.

I would like to get a manual machine but I have no idea which manufacturers to avoid.
My budget is around R5k to R6k.

Which machine would you recommend?

cerebus

Honorary Master