New DSL user need some advie plse.

Abadon

Hi all,

New user to DSL seriously in need of some advice here, I am looking for recommendations on ISP's where online gaming has some priority, will a 2meg line be okay or do i have to have a 4meg. Currently on Axxess capped 30Gig but have almost used it all mainly on game downloads and patches. What kinda setup do other mmo players use? Anyone have any input on MWeb. Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.:confused:

MGRobinson

Hi all,

New user to DSL seriously in need of some advice here, I am looking for recommendations on ISP's where online gaming has some priority, will a 2meg line be okay or do i have to have a 4meg. Currently on Axxess capped 30Gig but have almost used it all mainly on game downloads and patches. What kinda setup do other mmo players use? Anyone have any input on MWeb. Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.:confused:

1. ISP's: Many people seem to like MWEB (not anymore :p ), but I find their speeds a little slow for certain things during the day (Used their trail account twice). Their latency on games seems good and stable.

My current ISP is OpenWeb, they have been great! Never had an issue with latency (unless I'm downloading something - then it all goes crazy!).

Web Africa: 1Mbps uncapped (on IS) was my account before that. It worked like a bomb! Gaming and downloads (Just scheduled downloads for midnight - morning and I remained on 5 stars. 3 Stars was quite acceptable though)

Afrihost: use them at work, I find latency in games is not as affected by downloading compared to my
OpenWeb account - downloads are a little slow at the moment though with them waiting for their upgrade in capacity to come through.

My friend is on OpenWeb (MTN network), they resell Axxess accounts as far as I know - it seems to perform well for gaming (stable) but definitely has slower download speeds compared to my OpenWeb (IS network).

2. The speed of your line won't affect latency in games at all, only the browsing, streaming and download speed, so for gaming, no difference. If you are looking at gaming as priority when it comes to latency and stability, possible consider spending the extra money on a 2Mbps business account as opposed to 4Mbps normal uncapped account, or possibly just increase your cap to something like 100 GB (Afrihost: R199) or 60 GB + 60 GB (Web Africa: R199)

Abadon

Thank you for this, does make sense, I am currently on Axxess but the downloads are really crappeh around 23h00 and had no service the other night due to congestion. Think I will give AH a go and see how it works out, indeed latency is a big issue, then again so are the downloads, the recent ESO clocked at over 22gig.

Ivork

Expert Member
Totally depends on the congestion at your exchange and your chosen ISP's IPC capacity.

It would be worth asking all the ISP's for trial accounts first to really find out which is best for you.
(And will save you going through hell and gnashing of teeth cause they will all claim nothing is wrong trust me!).

wingnut771

Honorary Master
@ Abadon

The ping is the same between a 2 and 4mb, making gaming the same, although there is more headroom with the 4mb incase there is other traffic on the line during play, but you can download things twice as fast too :)

I have a 4mb and wish I can go faster.

Connection.co.za (IS) are better than OW and WA as they have a "cancel before the 25th" policy if you want to leave, none of this "stuck with them for another month" problem, if it doesn't work out.

They running a special on 2mb uncapped @ R99 which is the best deal around, and don't be put off by the cheap price, it's good.

4mb uncapped price is good too.

I have a 2mb and 4mb uncapped account spare that I used for testing that will expire at the end of the month, you can use it until then, PM me if you want to try it out?

Last edited: