New LTE Optimizer

Kiemo

I think the optimizer is showing you towers relative to the service you have if both is not available on that tower. I like the new optimizer actually :)
Well they should connect me to the one that says ... 0.51km that’s the nearest to me ... I think it’s great but the problem is how do we connect to those Towers ? Come on buddy you the smart one

Crumbl0x

Oh man, wish this was on their site from the start!
Gonna chat a bit and ask if I can get forced onto an older tower that had far greater speeds and reliability now that I have a name and exact location.

Last edited:

ghostim

Expert Member
Well they should connect me to the one that says ... 0.51km that’s the nearest to me ... I think it’s great but the problem is how do we connect to those Towers ? Come on buddy you the smart one
I'm on 5G Premium, the 4G(upload part) connect to a Vodacon tower 300M from me. The 5G(download part) connects to a tower 500M away. Both show in the optimiser but the 5G show as current site, not the 4G. If I choose my 4G sim, it shows the closest tower(300M) as current site.

Chad_29

Oh man, wish this was on their site from the start!
Gonna chat a bit and ask if I can get forced onto an older tower that had far greater speeds and reliability now that I have a name an exact location.
I'm in the same boat as you. About 2 weeks ago my router switched to a closer tower, and now I can't get anything more than 1/2Mbps since the switch. The old tower I was connected to would consistently get 6Mpbs+ and at night reach almost 16Mpbs.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Just a pity that we cannot force it to connect to another tower. There are 2 towers closer to me but it shows that I connect ta 3rd tower about double the distance from me.

jbroo

This helps a LOT though. At least now I'm not blindly aiming. Spent a couple of hours this afternoon aiming my external antenna. Mixed results so far. But i was connecting to a tower over 2km from me when I have one within view (bar some trees) less than 1km from me. First impressions are it is very congested though... More testing tomorrow.

Kiemo

I'm on 5G Premium, the 4G(upload part) connect to a Vodacon tower 300M from me. The 5G(download part) connects to a tower 500M away. Both show in the optimiser but the 5G show as current site, not the 4G. If I choose my 4G sim, it shows the closest tower(300M) as current site.
All I want it to connect to a tower that’s less congested ... there must be a way to connect to a tower like that why is rain giving us this information but we can’t do anything about our connection it don’t even show on my side to which tower I’m connected to

Attachments

• 637D810F-E0C8-491F-9332-E0717FA0B57F.png
    637D810F-E0C8-491F-9332-E0717FA0B57F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

ghostbunny

The tower that we connect to is far away, it just took a hell of a lot of tinkering with the placement of the xpol 6.

Mounted it to a pretty tall bedside lamppost, put that outside on a tall desk, moving it a few cm in any direction has an effect on the performance. The 1800 tower we used to connect to, we managed to pull 60 down and 30 up or so, sim was placed in a note 4, on top of a little box, under a table in the corner of the room. It only had 2 bars of signal, but for some reason, that specific place was able to hit those peak speeds. They were just inconsistent because of congestion.

After getting the xpol 6 and trying every possible configuration, connecting to that far away 2600 tower has given good results with stability.

Both versions of the 4G sim are stable and consistent, besides when that specific 2600 tower goes down. When it does, it goes down for a day or two. When that tower goes down, we max out at 10-20mbps if lucky.

Joseph matane

I like this Optimizer maps but it seems like not all sites are shown in the map i think Rain is still going to add more sites is clear because in coverage map you will notice Area A and Area B have coverage but Optimizer shows one site in area A only and none in area B with more than 3KM gap

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Damn. We've got only 2 towers covering like 1100 users in our town, no wonder.

Dretastic06

The sites it shows i know for a fact its mtn sites, could explain the slow speeds

JonOpollo

The one I am connected to which is right outside my window I am sure is a CellC tower (when the power is off in our street there's no signal on cellc's network and all the lights I can see on the tower is off), I know the rain one is a bit further. Well I guess it explains the wonderful speeds that I have been getting as of late . Also switching to the 2600MHz band has me getting noticebly worse signal and slower speeds yet optimizer says I am connected to the same tower that is so close to my home.

Probably congestion but then again there are "so many" towers around me and many of the people here dont use rain because they're either stuck on ADSL or have another provider
1592217088623.png

ghostim

Expert Member
You may have all the cellular networks on 1 tower. Or more than 1 on a tower.

JonOpollo

You may have all the cellular networks on 1 tower. Or more than 1 on a tower.
Ah figured internet has been going so good this year never had it this good with rain before, dunno what caused this immediate jump in speed. Used to get 80mbps down this week then this a few days later barely 1mbps. Can't say I got my hopes up.

koogs

I checked on the Optimiser now and I am connecting to a tower 0.19km away from me which I know is a Vodacom tower as it is visible on the main road.

Did a speed test now.

Attachments

• Speed test.PNG
    Speed test.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 41
  • LTE optimiser.PNG
    LTE optimiser.PNG
    528.8 KB · Views: 40