New S7 Slim rom!

oldhat

Expert Member
Have they fixed the camera & bluetooth issues yet? Will wait for you to try first ;)

MyWorld

Executive Member
I'll have a go at it within the hour. Seems like the developer is quite active on this, very, very glad that we have a CM10 for the S7 Slim!
:D

MyWorld

Executive Member
Eish, Arch Linux switched over to a new "way of doing things" and I either need to reinstall Arch of spend hours on the forums changing arb config files.

I'm downloading Mint quickly, going to install it and then give this another go. Hope I get it done before sleep wins that battle!

oldhat

Expert Member
Yeah, developer very active & great to have CM10 indeed :)

Re: Arch - I was just about to try installing latest release tonight!

MyWorld

Executive Member
I had a mission installing Linux Mint 13, had to hack the installer to bits to get it going so I didn't get around to installing the new ROM. I'm out of town for the rest of the day till tomorrow sometime, will try it again and post some screenshots and what not here once I'm done.

rodga

Honorary Master
Just second tab on wed. Sold the first one about a month ago
Pity it took so long, but at least I have a nexus now

oldhat

Expert Member
I had a mission installing Linux Mint 13, had to hack the installer to bits to get it going so I didn't get around to installing the new ROM. I'm out of town for the rest of the day till tomorrow sometime, will try it again and post some screenshots and what not here once I'm done.

Strange, Mint installs fine for me but Arch just hangs, will download again & try :(

MyWorld

Executive Member
I got CM10 going, give me a minute or two to accustom myself with everything and I'll post a short how-to and a screenshot or two.

MyWorld

Executive Member
How to flash a rom:
I'm going to cover the more safer but more technical way of flashing the rom. You can use ClockworkMod app to flash this ROM (the the OP), but I do not trust this way, I still like doing it the old school way, and it is not that hard, promise! For my tutorial to work you will need android-sdk and once you have downloaded this, start it up and install android-platform-tools.
If you really do not know how to do this, read this: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-install-android-sdk-software-development-kit-21137/
Everything is explained there.

First you need to install the drivers for your tablet on windows and Linux users need to update their udev rules. Linux users, put this in /etc/udev/rules.d/91-android.rules:
Code:
# Ideos S7 Slim
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0x12d1", MODE="0666"
SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0x18d1", MODE="0666"

You should be set to use adb and fastboot now!

You need to install a recovery image to allow you to flash the ROM onto the tablet. There are three available recovery "options" from the download section linked in the OP, but I'm going to cover the most widely used Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Download the recovery.img ( http://goo.im/devs/asturel/recovery.img ) and download the ROM you want to flash, in my case I just took the latest available for CM10 (http://goo.im/devs/asturel/cm-10-20121108-EXPERIMENTAL-s7-asturel.zip). Download gapps (Google Apps) zip also (http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip)

Copy the ROM and the gapps zip to the tablet - as is, do not extract!

All the preparations is now complete, now to start flashing:

We now need to enter fastboot to flash the recovery image, there are two ways of doing this.
1.) Power off device completely (I even had to remove the battery from mine) - Press volume up + power button until you see some text stating that you are now in "fastboot" mode.
2.) If you have android-platform-tools installed: adb reboot fastboot

Change directory on the PC where you extracted android-sdk, go to the platfom-tools directory, inside will be adb and fastboot. Copy the recovery.img into this folder, once finished you can delete it later. Open a terminal there and connect your device to USB if it is not connected already.
In fastboot:
Code:
fastboot devices  <-- Your device should show, even if it is only ???????????????? there should be something or you need to install your drivers or update your udev rules in Linux
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot boot recovery.img

You do not need the last "fastboot recovery recovery.img", but I could not get into recovery mode any other way, in theory, once you flashed the recovery.img and rebooted the device, you should be able to enter recovery with:
Code:
adb reboot recovery

Now we are in recovery mode. To navigate, use the volume up and down, to select use the "settings" touch button (touch button in the middle).

* Flash from sd-card -> browse to rom on SD-card and flash. Once rom is finished, flash gapps.

Go back, wipe data/factory reset and wipe cache parition.

Reboot and you should be done.

If you want to use the app method (again which I do not recommend) you will need to read the link in the OP, it is explained there, but by the time you finished reading the link you could have been done by following this method.
:D

Last edited:

MyWorld

Executive Member
Some pictures of the default look and feel, I'll play with it a bit later and theme it:
device-2012-11-11-160521.png device-2012-11-11-160545.png device-2012-11-11-160611.png

MyWorld

Executive Member
They say that project butter is only partially supported, and I can see a clear difference speed wise between my S2 and the S7 Slim.
It is not laggy at all, but you know your S2 is faster.

The only problem I have is the camera not working, bluetooth works, wifi works (they sorted the tethering issue) and all in all I'm happy with what I got. I'm still hunting for the perfect theme, but that is another issue.

They claim battery life to be descend, will have to see.
The default keyboard is no good for me, I always install "hackers keyboard" from market for the tablets, there is no better!

I only browsed the Play Store a bit and played "Stick Figures Tennis", I have not touched the settings to see what I can squeeze out of this tablet, but so far it is reasonable.

MyWorld

Executive Member
Just to add, don't know if it is a fluke, but my battery life more than doubled on this ROM. Crazy.

oldhat

Expert Member
Would love the improved battery life but need camera - can't wait for fix....

MyWorld

Executive Member
If you should run into any problems, here is a tip on getting back to stock:
A lot of you (including myself) will be found in the awkward position not liking the rom you just flashed. That could be, due to many reasons, problems with the rom, BSoDs, misbehaviors and so on.... Luckily, there is a bulletproof path to go back to where you started and that is the original stock ROM of HUAWEI.
The procedure is very easy. Just download the generic stock ROM from here, extract the files and there you will find a very comprehensive pdf guide to revert back to your out-of-the-box period.
Enjoy resposibly.

Taken from here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...to-all-one-guide-flashing-your-first-rom.html

MyWorld

Executive Member
Have any other S7 Slim users tried these ROMS?

It seems that development has gained some speed and they now offer 3 different versions, you should so yourself the favour and flash this.