New VDSL Router?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
My VDSL line is dropping every once in awhile, doudt my D-Link G225 router is at fault, but it is possible. So what routers are available.

Considering going over to Telkom 1TB LTE package for R999.00.

cavedog

Honorary Master
What is your max copper line speed?

If you use a lot of data the Pure Connect will still be a better option unless 1TB is in your data range and you get decent speeds on Telkom lte then that might be better.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

If you use a lot of data the Pure Connect will still be a better option unless 1TB is in your data range and you get decent speeds on Telkom lte then that might be better.

Rate down 45055
Rate up 10238

Better than 40mbps down and 10mbps up.

SNR 207 - 82
Attn: 141 - 0

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Get 60mbps easy on Telkom Smart Broadband, use anything from 600gig. to a Terabyte a month, wife is a heavy streamer. Who does Pure Connect?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Get 60mbps easy on Telkom Smart Broadband, use anything from 600gig. to a Terabyte a month, wife is a heavy streamer. Who does Pure Connect?

Right so you are in the perfect conditions and run 40Mbps.

It will be hard to beat 40Mbps pure dsl uncapped at less than R700 per month total.

The 1TB LTE might not be enough.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Right so you are in the perfect conditions and run 40Mbps.

It will be hard to beat 40Mbps pure dsl uncapped at less than R700 per month total.

The 1TB LTE might not be enough.

No it might not, but line dropping every now and then, required a router reboot to connect again, is not going to work either.

Reported line this morning, but am not expecting much from Telkom.

Which leaves me with 2 choices, as I see it.

Supersonic Uncapped Fixed LTE-A - don't want or need a router, B618 is better than B612. Also reports of issues with them not collecting the router on termination of service, do not inspiring confidence.

or

Telkom 1terabyte LTE ...

MEG101

Afrihost PureDSL 40mbps is priced at R697 per month which is good value for money. The connection is uncapped unshaped unthrottled and No FUP. If you have a Openserve line installed in your house, then this is the way to go. My usage for current month is 1.5TB and the line is still going strong. Everything working as it should.

DanyaalShah

Afrihost PureDSL 40mbps is priced at R697 per month which is good value for money. The connection is uncapped unshaped unthrottled and No FUP. If you have a Openserve line installed in your house, then this is the way to go. My usage for current month is 1.5TB and the line is still going strong. Everything working as it should.

Wow that’s impressive!
What modem do you have if you don’t mind me asking ?

Stiffmeister

I am using a D-Link DSL-224 VDSL Modem. It has a great wireless range and one of the best VDSL modems you can buy. I highly recommend this modem.

Ohh, I have one as well haha. I’ve been trying to find another VDSL modem because this one tends to struggle when there are multiple devices connected (13-14 devices). Off topic, but do you by chance know if getting a router would make things any better ?

MEG101

Ohh, I have one as well haha. I’ve been trying to find another VDSL modem because this one tends to struggle when there are multiple devices connected (13-14 devices). Off topic, but do you by chance know if getting a router would make things any better ?
AI have also seen the issue with multiple devices connected, every time I want to connect my phone, I first have to forget the network and select my network and put my password in again before I have internet access, otherwise it shows "connected without internet access". Other than that, the modem is working like it should. I am not sure if a replacement router would make any improvements, like elf_lord_ZC5 said, maybe have a look at D-LInk DSL-G225