New Washing Machine

RandomGeek

Expert Member
<rant>
On this topic, has anyone seen the very limited selection if you want white appliances? A silver appliance will stand out like a dildo in my kitchen area.
</rant>

Speedster

Honorary Master
We bought a new Samsung washing machine online from Makro about a month ago. When it arrived it had its water outlet to the side (not the back as I thought was the norm) and didn't fit in the space we have available. We were able to exchange it without any issues, but maybe just a note to check on the location of the outlet pipe before buying.

deesef

Expert Member
Sheesh that thing must chew through water and electricity though. As they didn't care about being conservative in those days. I remember watching my mom's speed Queen and it was full of water.
It does a wash and rinse in about 15 minutes, so it is fairly light on power. I agree that it uses more water than the newer machines, but our TOTAL Easter utilisation is 17 to 20kl per month (R300 or so per month). My wife and daughter love long, full baths, so my thumb-suck assumption is that the machine does not use too much water in monetary terms.

krycor

Honorary Master
Re-water/power consumption.. my parents household is about 4-6 persons so it makes it worth it? Ie not something you buy for a 2-3 person household unless you willing to wait till the tub can be filled.

Colsuldel

Anyone tried the Hisense front loader?
10KG price seems very cheap compared to other front loaders in the 8/9kg range.

upup

Executive Member
Years ago I ask a friend who worked as a manager at a appliance shop, he suggested a front loader hoover. We took it, it was wired wrongly, and they change some wires, the machine then started after 4 years to brake, and at another shop the mechanic told me this machine was a dud.
When I inquire about spares 2 months ago, the lady at the shop told me, please don't say it is a samsung, you will get zero spares.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Years ago I ask a friend who worked as a manager at a appliance shop, he suggested a front loader hoover. We took it, it was wired wrongly, and they change some wires, the machine then started after 4 years to brake, and at another shop the mechanic told me this machine was a dud.
When I inquire about spares 2 months ago, the lady at the shop told me, please don't say it is a samsung, you will get zero spares.
My machine also brakes between cycles. Guess it's a good thing or else it will spin forever. :)

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Bought this one last week, it was R3799, on special in Makro.

Defy have strong local presence, good for warranty purposes.

Our old Defy lasted 12 years - I don't believe in buying expensive washing machines

View attachment 691069
I see this is on sale at Makro for R4299. How do you rare it? Are you happy with it?

Most importantly what is the water consumption like? I measured the amount of water my LG top loader uses and need to get that number way down.

EDIT - what happens if you're caught out by load shedding?

The_MAC

Executive Member
I see this is on sale at Makro for R4299. How do you rare it? Are you happy with it?

Most importantly what is the water consumption like? I measured the amount of water my LG top loader uses and need to get that number way down.

EDIT - what happens if you're caught out by load shedding?
I am as happy as one can be with a washing machine :) - probably the most convenient feature that my old Defy did not have is the LCD display, indicating the time for each wash, initially the duration and then the time remaining.

Unfortunately I do not have answers to your last 2 question - how does one measure water consumption?

In terms of load-shedding, I honestly cannot remember what state the machine goes into when power is restored.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I am as happy as one can be with a washing machine :) - probably the most convenient feature that my old Defy did not have is the LCD display, indicating the time for each wash, initially the duration and then the time remaining.

Unfortunately I do not have answers to your last 2 question - how does one measure water consumption?

In terms of load-shedding, I honestly cannot remember what state the machine goes into when power is restored.
Thanks for the feedback.

In terms of water consumption I just measured what came out as well as what was left in the clothes. My top loader used 110l for a 5kg load.

Last edited:

The_MAC

Executive Member
Thanks for the feedback.

In terms of water consumption I just measured what came out as well as what was left in the clothes. My top loaded used 110l for a 5kg load.
I would like to say that I am willing to harvest all the water coming out of my machine to confirm but that would be a lie ;)

Front loaders are generally more water efficient as they have the benefit of gravity.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I would like to say that I am willing to harvest all the water coming out of my machine to confirm but that would be a lie ;)

Front loaders are generally more water efficient as they have the benefit of gravity.
I was just curious because of the drought.

cr@zydude

Executive Member

Front loaders also generally spin dry clothing better, due to higher spin speeds. You do lose out on washing detergent though, some cheaper ones are designed for top loaders, not front loaders.