New WhatsApp features being tested

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Why can they just do a feature to allow admins the ability to remove peoples video or picture postings from groups?

ronz91

Expert Member
I would love to be able to use it on a Pc without my phone being connected to the internet

genetic

Honorary Master
I would love to be able to use it on a Pc without my phone being connected to the internet
You only need your phone to initialise WhatsApp Web. You can use the web browser thereafter with your phone switched off if you want.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Aren't they working on support for multiple devices on a single number?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
You only need your phone to initialise WhatsApp Web. You can use the web browser thereafter with your phone switched off if you want.
No, you can't, your phone needs to connect for it to be able to send.

WhatsApp is based end to end tunnels, so phone -> server -> phone with "encryption". WhatsApp web just adds a web interface that allows you to interact with your phone.

I put encryption in quotes as there have been stories of FB sending a copy of all your data that you send to their servers without encryption, it's probably encrypted now, but there's no way you can know if it's properly E2E encrypted as they control both the client and the server. (And they're definitely still sending it, it's how they stop the chain mails)

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
No, you can't, your phone needs to connect for it to be able to send.

WhatsApp is based end to end tunnels, so phone -> server -> phone with "encryption". WhatsApp web just adds a web interface that allows you to interact with your phone.

I put encryption in quotes as there have been stories of FB sending a copy of all your data that you send to their servers without encryption, it's probably encrypted now, but there's no way you can know if it's properly E2E encrypted as they control both the client and the server. (And they're definitely still sending it, it's how they stop the chain mails)
Well I rage quit with my old phone (smashed it to pieces), and was phoneless for two days. I was able to continue using WhatsApp on my laptop the entire two days until my new phone arrived. Did not close the browser or shut the machine down though.

Nqindi

Expert Member
Well I rage quit with my old phone (smashed it to pieces), and was phoneless for two days. I was able to continue using WhatsApp on my laptop the entire two days until my new phone arrived. Did not close the browser or shut the machine down though.
I don't buy this. Whatsapp has never been able to do this.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I don't buy this. Whatsapp has never been able to do this.
Me neither. It doesn't work like that. Well it never has for me at least. Phone needs to be on, have signal, close to PC...

Speedster

Honorary Master
Me neither. It doesn't work like that. Well it never has for me at least. Phone needs to be on, have signal, close to PC...
Every now and then I get a message that the phone isn't connected to the internet and messages don't come through to wa web until the connection is restored.

@genetic might have smashed his phone, but it could still have been on the whole time

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Doesn't have to be close to the PC. I've forgotten my phone at home before and then just fired up Whatsapp web to continue chatting.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
LOL
What you didn't know is that your WhatsApp was hijacked and your messages were going through someone else's phone :ROFL:

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Did you think it used Bluetooth? Have you ever had to connect Bluetooth for it to work?
Ever wondered how it worked with a regular LAN connection? :unsure:
I'd never given it too much thought. All I know is that mine often disconnects and then demands that the phone needs to have signal for it to work. When the phone has signal, it works. I hadn't thought that it all works through the magic of the internet (the cloud) but apparently it does :)

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
I'd never given it too much thought. All I know is that mine often disconnects and then demands that the phone needs to have signal for it to work. When the phone has signal, it works. I hadn't thought that it all works through the magic of the internet (the cloud) but apparently it does :)
The phone signal nonsense usually just means it needs you to wake your phone up from its slumber. Many people don't realise that your phone doesn't, well, phone home, or stay connected to the internet 24x7. It actually turns that (LTE) radio off for periods in between when it's not being used... Ergo WhatsApp can't see it. If it didn't, your battery wouldn't last nearly as long as it does.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
The phone signal nonsense usually just means it needs you to wake your phone up from its slumber. Many people don't realise that your phone doesn't, well, phone home, or stay connected to the internet 24x7. It actually turns that (LTE) radio off for periods in between when it's not being used... Ergo WhatsApp can't see it. If it didn't, your battery wouldn't last nearly as long as it does.
Makes sense