New Windows 10 update causes big printer problems

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
New Windows 10 update causes big printer problems

A Windows 10 update released on 9 June 2020 has left a number of PC users unable to print.

The cumulative update released last week includes security fixes for various vulnerabilities in the operating system, as well as fixes and changes for a number of Windows 10 features.

Nirv

Had to reinstall printer drivers after the update. Not really a problem for us but I'm sure a headache for lots of IT support and general users.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Man lately Windows seems so stable! When I say lately, I mean in the last 2 years. Microsoft just releases stuff without testing it.

Like, the speakers on my laptop suddenly stopped working. No idea why. Headphones still work. I google it and this is a known Windows 10 issue. Some people recommend reinstalling your drivers, others recommend all sorts of crazy stuff.

rustypup

Expert Member
What new feature would necessitate fiddling with the printer code?
There was no "fiddling". There was securing. Something which printer vendors have been aware of for more than a year and have ignored. So guess what. You use cruddy printer drivers, you get burned.

Actually got to dig into this when we were rolling out device guard and discovered how absolutely carpy printer drivers really are. Worst written/designed shareware crap I've seen in a long time.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Man lately Windows seems so stable! When I say lately, I mean in the last 2 years. Microsoft just releases stuff without testing it.

Like, the speakers on my laptop suddenly stopped working. No idea why. Headphones still work. I google it and this is a known Windows 10 issue. Some people recommend reinstalling your drivers, others recommend all sorts of crazy stuff.
If you want to see a list of issues that have been around for years you should try using a macbook. Its actually quite impressive how Apple have managed to ignore the thousands of users without ever acknowledging that there is a problem or doing something about it.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am surprised this hasn't been resolved. 15 Days since they have admitted the error?

OCP

Expert Member
There was no "fiddling". There was securing. Something which printer vendors have been aware of for more than a year and have ignored. So guess what. You use cruddy printer drivers, you get burned.

Actually got to dig into this when we were rolling out device guard and discovered how absolutely carpy printer drivers really are. Worst written/designed shareware crap I've seen in a long time.
Besides windows? ;-)