New wireless hack can unlock almost every VW made since 1995

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Yikes.
Although this should now force insurance companies to pay out for claims when the car was allegedly left unlocked because of remote jamming, as now surely they'd have to prove it was negligence and not a cloned remote?

cozinsky

Expert Member
Luckily I am driving a Golf VII with the exact key as in the illustration.

xodosman123

Expert Member
only has to be captured once is the trick of stopping this as i lock my car by pushing the button on the car door to lock the car so my code cannot be cloned and my remote cannot be jammed and i can hear my car lock, This is after being knocked twice.....They will pay in the afterlife..

supersunbird

Honorary Master
only has to be captured once is the trick of stopping this as i lock my car by pushing the button on the car door to lock the car so my code cannot be cloned and my remote cannot be jammed and i can hear my car lock, This is after being knocked twice.....They will pay in the afterlife..
And how do you unlock it? ;)

This is done when the owner of the car presses the key fob button to unlock their vehicle.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
How do you think your car knows it's you pushing the button on the car door...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
How do you think your car knows it's you pushing the button on the car door...
because the button on the car door is wired to the electronics, unlike the REMOTE CONTROL which works REMOTELY, by wizardry.

blowdart18

Opening the car is one thing, but just trying to think if you would also be able to start the car, especially in your higher range vehicles with keyless entry . . . .

Kingofmybbknowitalls

This is not actually that surprising.

The emphasis at the beginning was to get the tech to work, not to secure it against hacking.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
because the button on the car door is wired to the electronics, unlike the REMOTE CONTROL which works REMOTELY, by wizardry.
On my car (and I assume most, if not all, that work that way). you have to be close to the car with the keyfob in your pocket/hand. CLose to the car. They could probably intercept that as well.

wingnut771

Executive Member
Watch the indicator light on your key fob when you press the door handle when you lock/unlock. It's still using the key.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
On my car (and I assume most, if not all, that work that way). you have to be close to the car with the keyfob in your pocket/hand. CLose to the car. They could probably intercept that as well.
There's a difference between a transponder and a remote transmitter...
The keyless entry stuff is transponder based, just like the immobiliser is. There's a transponder in the key body.
I guess it's possible to clone that transponder as well, but probably not quite as easy as harvesting a transmission from a remote which travels a LOT further (I can unlock my car from nearly 30m away)

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
There's a difference between a transponder and a remote transmitter...
The keyless entry stuff is transponder based, just like the immobiliser is. There's a transponder in the key body.
I guess it's possible to clone that transponder as well, but probably not quite as easy as harvesting a transmission from a remote which travels a LOT further (I can unlock my car from nearly 30m away)
Good point. I have to be real close to the car (or the transponder, for that matter) for it to work, like in less than 1 meter.

chrisc

Executive Member
Why is this touted as a "new" development or discovery? It has been known for years that certain makes of cars (and add Fiat/Chrysler to the list) that captured rolling codes with inadequate encryption can easily by overcome by a cheap (£10) code programmer which you can buy on eBay

Getting the car started after gaining entry is another 2-minute job

These manufacturers were told of the device, but chose to ignore it since it would have added €9.00 to the cost of manufacture. As usual the bean counters have the final say