Newbie Nas!

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
There should be no need for transcoding, it should just direct play.

Most likely you've got an image file format subtitle....OR the audio track is being transcoded causing kak.

I can Direct Play remuxed 4K stuff from a Microserver without issue.

If the Synology can be had cheaply off a forum member and will only do 1080p max then it will do the job.

But a multiple drive Microsoft with Unraid is a much better solution for future forward planning.
Then why the difference of getting a 1080ti?

riverdusty

We've got this, DS416play, and it works like a dream.
We stream music-videos from it, with permission from the boss of course, who also streams music-video from it, over wifi, to his freekin massive TV.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
There should be no need for transcoding, it should just direct play.

Most likely you've got an image file format subtitle....OR the audio track is being transcoded causing kak.

I can Direct Play remuxed 4K stuff from a Microserver without issue.

If the Synology can be had cheaply off a forum member and will only do 1080p max then it will do the job.

But a multiple drive Microsoft with Unraid is a much better solution for future forward planning.
To take it further his media player is a Shield, definitely something wrong with his setup.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Then why the difference of getting a 1080ti?
I'm saying there was no need for you to transcode in the first place.

The 1080ti obviously made the unnecessary transcoding work better, but if you stopped it doing that in the first place it should have been fine.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Ouch, pricing today is hectic.
Bought this 2 years ago for R2047 - Orico USB 3.0 4-Bay Raid

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
To take it further his media player is a Shield, definitely something wrong with his setup.
If he has an Nvidia Shield.....why the **** isn't he running the Plex Server on there? It does transcoding of anything flawlessly.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
If he has an Nvidia Shield.....why the **** isn't he running the Plex Server on there? It does transcoding of anything flawlessly.
A quick install of Tautulli, play something that didn't work before, check Tautulli to see why it's transcoding, profit?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I don't think that the Shield is the issue. It is on the receiving end. Whether I streamed straight from the TV or the Shield, there was a stuttering issue.
At the time, I had an AMD 7950 and that did not help either.
Everything is now wired down with LAN cables.

Could the CPU have been a bottleneck?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/oldest-generation-intel-for-decoding-x265.3396741/
https://hardforum.com/threads/how-much-cpu-is-needed-to-playback-hevc-x265-in-software.1921703/

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
:ROFL:

I tried to avoid Plex after the BS streaming issue that I had before.
And because Kodi basically does the same thing that Plex does.
And all the media info that Plex downloads, like the backdrops and all that is unnecessary space.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member

And all the media info that Plex downloads, like the backdrops and all that is unnecessary space.
With a 1080 Ti you can pretty much host for all your friends and family now, it can do ~10 4K to 1080P transcodes at the same time and ~20 1080P to 720P transcodes.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Speaking of plex etc... I'm too cheap to buy a plex account, so I'm stuck with one account.

Which media manager will allow me to set up more than one account for family use for free? So that I can have the kids watch kids movies only while groupies will watch more mature movies.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

Very little space used by Plex. Only if you put video thumbnails on does it eat a bit of data.

Plex is amazing once setup right and while Kodi can do a lot of stuff similarly it either takes a bit of hacking or is a single stand alone entity for each running instance.

I’ve got one Plex server with 5-6 clients running happily for years now.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Speaking of plex etc... I'm too cheap to buy a plex account, so I'm stuck with one account.

Which media manager will allow me to set up more than one account for family use for free? So that I can have the kids watch kids movies only while groupies will watch more mature movies.
You could register accounts for them with proper email addresses and then share libraries to them.

You can’t manage those accounts though.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

You can set that up with Kodi I think.

Hemps

Honorary Master

Maybe Emby

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I don't think that the Shield is the issue. It is on the receiving end. Whether I streamed straight from the TV or the Shield, there was a stuttering issue.
At the time, I had an AMD 7950 and that did not help either.
Everything is now wired down with LAN cables.

Could the CPU have been a bottleneck?
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/oldest-generation-intel-for-decoding-x265.3396741/
https://hardforum.com/threads/how-much-cpu-is-needed-to-playback-hevc-x265-in-software.1921703/
Like I said likely had image based subtitles.

There is an option not to burn in subtitles. You want that to be on.

If it burns it in it needs to transcode it all.